The box turtles are amazing animals and are also kept as pets by many people around the world. But they are an endangered species so they need lots of care so that they do not get extinct due to the carelessness of humans are not so hard to be kept as pets.
But you need to take care of them and for that, you need to provide them with everything that they need to live happy and satisfied inside the captivity.
The box turtles need heat lamps to stay warm as they are cold-blooded animals so they need their surroundings to be warm and for that, we need to provide them with heat lamps.
In this article, we will discuss the best heating lamps that are available in the market for the box turtle and also we will know how to choose the heat lamp that is best for the box turtle and will even learn how to set up the heating lamps for them in their terrarium. You need to understand that in order to keep your box turtle happy you have to provide them with the best of everything.
- 1 How to choose the best heating lamps for the box turtle?
- 2 5 Best Heat Lamps for Box Turtle
- 3 Set up guide for the heat lamp
How to choose the best heating lamps for the box turtle?
The heat lamp should have the following features so that they can have the best of heat in their terrarium and get everything from one heat lamp and these features have been listed as below:-
- Select the lamp according to the size of the terrarium.
- The wattage should also be selected according to the size and the number of the box turtles.
- The price should be affordable for the heat lamp.
- You need to know what type of heat lamp.
- Should be automatic if possible, then you need to provide the heat lamps with hi-tech features.
- The best quality material should be used so that it can be durable.
- The placement or the position of the bulb should be appropriate so that they can get the most of the heat from the lamp.
- The heating requirements of your turtle should be known to you so that you know what is the best type of heat lamp for your box turtle.
These are some basic features that you need to have in the best heat lamp for the box turtle so that you are able to give them the best quality things.
The reason is if the best would be provided to the box turtle only then you will be able to keep your box turtle happy and satisfied. Also, the box turtle will survive more if everything is provided to them with everything that is best for them.
All these features should be kept in mind so that you can get the appropriate heat lamp for your box turtle. You need to understand your box turtle first and then get the best heat lamp according to the requirements of the box turtle so that no issues are created later when you will get the heat lamp for them.
5 Best Heat Lamps for Box Turtle
The best 5 heat lamps for the box turtle that are available in the market for them and that is easy to use, install and have all the features that are necessary to keep the box turtle warm inside the tank are listed below:
1. Exo terra night heat lamp 100 W:
The Exo terra night heat lamp 100 W is one of the best light bulbs that is also used for heating purposes too and it is not too bright so it does not disturb the anole’s night and day cycle. The color of the light that is emitted through this bulb is blue in color that is not harmful to the eyes of the anole. The heat generated by this bulb is not too much but it is enough in order to provide the tropical type of temperature during the nighttime.
The bulb is of low wattage and this means that it does not interfere with the natural drops in temperature inside the terrarium and that is why these Exo terra night heat lamps are preferred by the owners of the box turtle due to their natural heating and lighting with low wattage.
These night lamps are not at all harmful for the box turtle and that is the reason they are considered best for the box turtle and also they have positive reviews from the users, as these heat lamps are amazing for the box turtle as they provide the required heat to them and also you do not have to do much to set up these heat lamps.
- Moonlight effect that simulates natural moonlight.
- Considered perfect for the nocturnal viewing
- Provides tropical nighttime temperatures
- Also can stimulate the breeding behavior in reptiles and also amphibians too.
- Can also be combined with day time heat lamp or the Repti Glo for a 24- hour cycle.
- Easy to use and set- up.
- The bulbs can break if not handled properly.
- Do not have long-lasting life.
2. OMAYKEY 2- pack ceramic heat lamp
The OMAYKEY 2- pack ceramic heat lamp is one of the best heat lamps because of its unique design that makes it fit well and look amazing inside the tank of the box turtle. You can easily set up this heat lamp inside the tank of the box turtle without any sort of hassle.
You just need to screw and then you will be able to install it to the tank of the box turtle. This OMAYKEY 2- pack ceramic heat lamp is a pack of 2 ceramic heat lamps and that has lots of features to offer to the box turtle and their owners.
Also the OMAYKEY 2- pack ceramic heat lamp includes on digital thermometer inside the package so that you can measure the temperature easily without any sort of problem and maintain the proper temperatures inside the tank of the box turtle. The heat wattage of this OMAYKEY 2- pack ceramic heat lamp is 100 W and the diameter of this heating source is about 8 cm respectively. The OMAYKEY 2- pack ceramic heat lamp has lots of things to offer to the box turtle and also it is quite easy to use by the owners of the box turtles.
- Easy to use
- High wattage
- Unique design
- Can be installed easily
- Affordable price
- Good heating diameter
- Pack of 2 ceramic heat lamps
- Comes with a free digital thermometer
- Sometimes it can get too hot
3. Fluker’s Heating Lamps for Turtles
The Fluker’s heating lamps for turtles is an outstanding heating lamp for the box turtle as it has lots of features to offer to the box turtle and it keeps them warm. The Fluker’s heating lamps for turtles are the best heating lamp for the small tanks of the box turtle as they are 75W heat bulbs that are apt for smaller tanks and not for the larger ones. The Fluker’s heating lamps for turtles are quite easy to set up and you do not have to face any sort of hassle while setting up or installing the heat lamps for the box turtles inside their tank so that your box turtle can stay warm and comfortable.
The adjustment is ultimate of this heating lamp and you do not have to work much in order to install it. The construction is also sturdy of this heating lamp making it highly durable and long-lasting. These heating lamps have a clam design which can be rotated to any direction that you want them to with just a slight moment and also you can easily relocate it without even putting much effort into it.
You can also adjust the angle of the heat lamp so that you can get the perfect angle for the heating purpose of the box turtle. The reviews regarding this Fluker’s heating lamps for turtles are amazing and this is the best suitable heating lamp for the small box turtle tanks respectively.
- The set-up is easy
- The adjustment is ultimate
- The durable construction
- Suitable for small terrariums
- Serves the purpose
- The package does not come with the bulbs
4. Zoo Med ReptiSun:
The Zoo Med ReptiSun is one of the most popular UVB bulbs for the box turtle and the main reason behind this is that the bulb has an affordable price and the at such a great price it offers amazing quality UVB bulbs. It is a 100 Watts mercury vapor bulb that is completely self-ballasted.
The bulb is known to provide both UVA and UVB rays and we know that both rays are very important for the box turtle on a regular basis. The Evergreen UVB reptile bulb also provides heat for the box turtle that is needed by the box turtle for the basking purpose during the day.
The bulb has a larger life span as compared to other UVB bulbs that is why it is preferred by many anole’s owners and also it provides lots of amazing features. It is compatible with all sorts of enclosures or terrariums.
The Zoo Med ReptiSun UVB Reptile bulb provides amazing heat to the box turtle and also you can easily set up this Evergreen UVB Reptile bulb inside the tank of the box turtle.
There are so many features that this Evergreen UVB Reptile bulb has to offer to the box turtle it is just not the heat but also the UVA/UVB that they provide to the box turtle.
Due to these reasons, these heat bulbs are quite famous among the owners of the box turtle as there is not much hassle created while handling these bulbs. The reviews regarding this Evergreen UVB Reptile bulb are positive as it has lots of features to offer to the owners of the box turtle and even the box turtle itself.
- The Zoo Med ReptiSun reptile bulb is self-ballasted completely which means there is no harmful UVC.
- This UVB bulb is all in one source for UVA, UVB, and heat and all these are very important for the box turtle.
- The Evergreen UVB Reptile bulb can be used for all types of terrariums.
- Easy to set up.
- Affordable price
- Serves the purpose
- These bulbs can break easily if not handled properly.
5. Mega-Ray Mercury Vapour Bulb:
The Mega-Ray Mercury Vapour Bulb is one of the best UVB bulbs available in the market and is also the top choice of the owners of the box turtle. These bulbs are new designs which mean it has all the latest features that are needed in nay UVB bulb and it produces lots of UVB rays as compared to other mercury vapor bulb but still it is the safest UVB bulb. The price of this UVB bulb is not so high and is easily affordable and that is also why it is the best choice for the users of UVB bulbs.
The Mega-ray mercury vapor bulb is also completely self -ballasted and it also offers both UVA and UVB rays that are both essential for the box turtle. Not only the UVA and UVB rays but also it even provides the box turtle with heat that is needed by them during the daytime for the basking purpose.
The heat provided by these bulbs is perfect for the box turtles and the longer life span that increases the durability of these bulbs also made these bulbs quite popular.
The set- up easy and even the handling is easy if handled properly, there is no sort of problem created if you have proper guidelines on how to set up the heat lamps inside the tank of the box turtle. The reviews are positive regarding this Mega-Ray mercury vapor bulb because it serves the purpose quite well for the box turtle and even the owners of the box turtle are quite satisfied with this heat lamp.
- Available in high wattage i.e. 160 watts.
- This bulb is completely self-ballasted which makes it free from UVC.
- It has a longer life span and it is about more than 18 months.
- You can very easily use the mega-ray mercury vapor bulb in any terrarium.
- Have affordable price.
- Serves the purpose.
- These UVB bulbs are also quite fragile if not handled properly.
These are the various heating lamps or bulbs that are best for the box turtle and have so many features to offer to the box turtle and also it can be easily installed and also afforded by the owners of the box turtle.
As we know that the box turtles are the cold blooded animals so we need to provide them with external heat in order to keep them hot and also comfortable inside the terrarium. The heating lamps that you will get for them should be of best quality as there should not be any sort of carelessness when it comes to providing the heat to the box turtle because they are dependent up on you and it is you that need to understand them properly and try to build a bonding with them.
Set up guide for the heat lamp
The steps for setting up the heat lamp for the box turtle are easy to follow and these steps have been listed below:-
- The first step is to get the best heat lamp for your box turtle according to your requirements.
- The position of the heat lamp should be according to the place where your box turtle spends most of the time inside the tank so that they can get the maximum of heat.
- Now another step is that you need to monitor the temperature and the humidity inside the tank of the box turtle so that you can get the proper readings and because of that you can set the temperature of the heat lamp accordingly.
- You can keep a thermometer or a hygrometer in order to measure the temperature and the humidity inside the tank of the box turtle.
- You should also fit a thermostat that will notify you when the temperature will increase more than the required one so that the box turtle does not get burned inside the tank.
- After setting up the heat lamp for your box turtle you should be aware of the fact that the temperature should be kept according to the standard temperature for the box turtle so that they can get the perfect temperature without getting burnt inside the tank.
- You need to know when to switch on or switch off the lamp according to the requirements of the box turtle as the heat lamp is not something that should be on throughout the day.
These are the various steps that you need to follow when you will set up the heat lamp for the box turtle and these are the easy steps and anyone can easily set up the heat lamp inside the tank of the box turtle without any sort of hassle. You just need to follow some basic guidelines so that you can easily fit the heat lamp.