The crested gecko belongs to the family of reptiles and is a cute little animal that can be kept as a pet. You can handle it easily and enjoy the company of the crested gecko, but crested gecko also needs care so you have to look after their requirements.
You need to clean a crested gecko’s terrarium in order to keep it free from all sorts of infection or diseases that can happen due to the dirty terrarium. So we will discuss about how to clean the terrarium of the crested gecko in this article and its importance. As for a healthy crested gecko we need to clean its terrarium properly and also regularly.
Why it is important to clean the terrarium of a crested gecko?
If you want that your crested gecko should stay healthy and thriving and live a stress free happy life, then you need to clean the crested gecko on a regular basis. If the terrarium will be dirty then there will be chances of getting infections from their and the crested gecko will be infected and will get various types of diseases.
Cleaning should be an important part of the schedule if you are keeping the crested gecko as a pet. Also in order to get rid of the unpleasant odours from the tank you need to clean it on daily basis. Due to the dirty tank there will be poor visibility and less enjoyment inside the enclosure or the terrarium. So it is very important to clean the terrarium of the crested gecko properly.
When to wash the terrarium of the crested gecko?
The terrarium can be washed daily and also monthly and these cleaning methods are described as follows:-
The daily cleaning is done in order to prevent the building up of bacteria inside the terrarium, so that there is no infections and diseases caused to the crested gecko. In daily cleaning you can remove the uneaten food, change the drinking water daily and also remove the crested gecko’s excreta and the urates from the tank as these can lead to the growth of the bacteria.
That is why daily cleaning of the terrarium is recommended so that the crested gecko remains healthy and safe.
A monthly cleaning is done in order to clean the tank of the crested gecko properly and you have to clean and disinfect each and every object of the tank properly and thoroughly. In this cleaning you will clean the all the decorations, change the substrate and everything that is included inside the tank of the crested gecko. You have to wash and disinfect everything properly and remove the crested gecko from the terrarium to some safe temporary enclosure while doing the monthly cleaning.
This monthly cleaning is done so that you are able to clean each and everything inside the terrarium and also make it free from bacteria and change the substrate and get a new substrate for the crested gecko and create a fresh and infection free environment for the crested gecko.
These methods of cleaning depends up on how frequent you want to wash or clean the terrarium of the crested gecko and these 2 methods are the most followed ways of cleaning the terrarium of the crested gecko and also the recommended one and it is for the best care of the crested gecko.
How to clean the terrarium of the crested gecko?
The steps involved in cleaning the terrarium of the crested gecko, to keep them healthy and disease free are as follows:-
- The first step is to remove the crested gecko from the tank or the terrarium and then place it into another tank or the enclosure till the time you clean their terrarium.
- This new enclosure is the temporary tank for the crested gecko so that they cannot escape until the cleaning of their terrarium is going on.
- After this you have to remove all the decorations and furniture from the terrarium and keep them outside to disinfect or wash if they are very dirty.
- Now you have to remove all the substrate and clean the whole terrarium and dispose the old substrate.
- Also take out the bowls of food and water and plants out of the enclosure of the crested gecko and clean the bowls. After cleaning the bowls you have to disinfect them by using the disinfectants that are safe for the crested gecko.
- Now the terrarium is completely empty as everything has been removed from inside the terrarium. You can wash the entire terrarium with water and clean it properly every side and corner of the terrarium.
- After cleaning the terrarium with water, you need to spray the detergent that is not harmful for the crested gecko inside the terrarium and do not do anything for next 10 minutes and let the detergent do its work.
- After 10 minutes you can wash off the detergent with water and sponge and then dry the terrarium with tissues or the towel or some cloth.
- When the terrarium has dried you can add new substrate on the floor of the terrarium. You can add any substrate that is soft, comfortable and non- irritant for the crested gecko. You can also note about the lightening in the tank.
- After the substrate is laid on to the floor of the terrarium, you can put the decorations back inside the terrarium and even try more creative ideas for decorating the terrarium of the crested gecko.
- Now you have set up the whole terrarium like before, you can now transfer the crested gecko back to their terrarium from the temporary enclosure.
- You have to also clean all the tools that are used for the cleaning purpose and also disinfect them as they will be used again for the cleaning purpose. So they should be clean and free from bacteria.
These are the few steps that are simple and are easy to follow for cleaning the terrarium and keeping it clean and free from germs for the crested gecko. You can clean the tank of the crested gecko without much hassle and also not much time is required for cleaning the terrarium of the crested gecko.
The cleaning of the terrarium is one of the best step in taking care of your crested gecko, as towards a healthy life cleanliness is very important.
The owners of the crested gecko should understand this fact and take cleaning of the terrarium of the crested gecko quite seriously. Provide them with everything so that they are happy and satisfied in their enclosure and this will automatically lead to a healthy crested gecko.
If the crested gecko will be happy, you will also feel happy while looking at them and it is your duty to keep them happy and keep them clean and also their terrarium and you will notice that the crested gecko is comfortable in its enclosure.
Make sure all the things that are kept inside the terrarium of the crested gecko are also disinfected so that there is no way for the bacteria to grow anywhere inside the terrarium and this will be the best thing that you can do for your crested gecko and enjoy their presence and always try to build a healthy relationship with your crested gecko.