The rabbits are pets that are social in nature and also who love to be cuddled and they enjoy the company of humans especially if they are around their owners and the family. You need to make sure that your rabbit is well trained and disciplined because only then they are to fit in the external environment otherwise it is not safe for the rabbits and also not for the people around if the rabbits are not disciplined properly.
As an owner, you need to be properly aware of the fact that you should properly discipline your rabbit in order to provide them with a safe environment, and also they should not be able to create any nuisance for the humans too.
In this guide, we will discuss the topic and that is how to discipline a rabbit so that they have the apt behavior when they are living in the captivity and also so that their behavior is socially acceptable. The owners need to take up this challenge to make their cute little rabbit disciplined for the benefit of both the rabbit and themselves.
When you have a pet at home not only a rabbit but any pet you need to make sure that they are disciplined there are various reasons that your rabbit should be disciplined and some of the important reasons are listed below:-
- The rabbit understands how to behave in the particular environment properly and also this helps them to enjoy their surroundings.
- Another reason is that sometimes rabbits are quite aggressive and if you will discipline them they will not be so aggressive and will be calm in whatever situation you will keep them in.
- The rabbits need to be disciplined so that they can understand their owners and also obey their orders which is necessary to maintain the balance between the rabbit and their owners.
- The rabbit will not create any hassle for their owners and also for the people around if they are disciplined in a proper manner because it will make them behave in a particular way.
- Also when you are disciplining your rabbit it will take time and because of this reason you will be spending lots of time with your rabbit, this will help in building a strong and a healthy relationship with your rabbit which also leads to the fact that both of you will understand each other in a better way. With each passing day, the bonding between both of them will get stronger and stronger.
These are some of the important points that tell us why it is so important that you need to discipline a rabbit and you should not avoid it in any case. The rabbit loves the company of their owners and that is why even the owners should take time and disciplines them in a particular way so that the rabbits can live a happy and safe life with the new social life around them.
How to discipline a rabbit?
You need to follow various steps that tell us that how you can discipline a rabbit so that they can fit in the social environment created by the humans nicely and comfortably so that the rabbits do not face any kind of problem and also the rabbits do not create any problem for the owners too so you need to discipline them in the following ways:-
- The first and foremost thing that you should do be able to understand your rabbit by observing their behavior carefully so that you can know what you need to teach them and make them understand.
- After this, you need to look for the trigger points for the rabbit that makes them angry and also due to which they behave in an aggressive manner like biting or trying to push you away.
- When you have noticed all the triggering points for your rabbit you can just call them first and try to move them away from all the situations that make them angry also you need to assure them that they are safe and there is nothing to worry about.
- Another important thing that you should be careful is about is that the rabbit is sometimes triggered by your body language as they do not feel safe when you try to hold them because the way you do it is not correct so you should be aware of how to hold them in a proper manner so that they do not get hurt or aggressive.
- You should also make sure that you do not lose your own calm in the process of disciplining your rabbit so that your rabbit does not get scared of you also in such a tense environment they will not get disciplined but they will do the reverse of that and will fear you a lot.
- You should give the rabbits their favorite treats when they will listen to you and obey you whatever you are trying to teach them or communicate with them. Giving them treats will motivate them and they will be able to live a happy life and will also enjoy themselves in captivity.
- Try to introduce them to the new environment and also to the social environment to notice whether they are fine with it or if there is some change in their behavior.
- If there is a change in their behavior so it will take time to adapt to their new surroundings and sometimes rabbit adapts easily to their surroundings then you do not have to worry about them and let them be free.
- You need to spend time with your rabbits because this will help both of you to build a strong bonding with one another and because of that the rabbit will have a sense of trust in you and they will obey you and will listen to you whatever you are trying to convey to them.
- The other reason that makes the rabbit quite aggressive is their sexual maturity because of which you will notice that they will behave in such a manner and in this case of possible you can even de-sexing them so that you can control their aggressive behavior and this is one way to do it by neutering them and you will notice a shift in their behavior.
- Once you are done keeping the calm of your rabbit you can then again introduce them to the situations that trigger them so that you can check whether they will get aggressive or they have to get used to it and will stay calm and disciplined.
- You need to create a safe environment for your rabbit so that they can live a comfortable life and also so that they do not aggressive. A rabbit who gets whatever they need will definitely listen to their owners and behave in a proper manner. So you need to be aware of the needs and the requirements of the rabbit in order to discipline them.
- If your rabbit is doing lots of biting or chewing you can even introduce them to the chew toys because that will help them to chew on the toys and leave other things out of them and in this way with time the rabbit will stop chewing or biting other things or even the humans around them because they will understand the chews toys are perfect to do something like this.
- You can use the deterrent spray on the things that the rabbits chew or bite so that they do not feel like chewing them and this is a good way to keep away from such things.
- When you want that the rabbits should not enter some area or it is not safe for them then you need to make sure that you block the passage of the rabbit to such areas so that they do not enter the prohibited area in any way possible.
- Try to introduce rabbits again and again to the social life so that they get used to the people and even the pets around and this will lead to the fact that they will behave in a particular manner and even the rabbits will know how to behave in a social atmosphere. The rabbits will understand this with time and also with exposure to such situations only.
- If you do not know how to discipline them or the rabbit is not able to understand you then the last thing you can do is that take them to the vet that will help you with them and will also guide you in the same thing and even they can discipline your rabbit in a proper manner. Also, they will check if the rabbit is facing some kind of health issue which leads to the wrong behavior in them then the vets will provide them with medical help.
- Reward the rabbit for every task that they accomplish so that the rabbits can feel motivated and listen to everything that the owners try to convey to them and this makes the process of disciplining quite easy for both the rabbit and their owners.
All these steps mentioned away are easy to follow the only thing that you need to work on as an owner is to understand your rabbit as much as possible so that they can then discipline them in a proper manner. You can even take the help of the vets because they are trained experts who can deal with such situations in a systematic way.
The rabbit needs to be disciplined so that both the owner and the rabbit can live happily and also at peace with each other and also so that the rabbits know how they should react to the situations around them.
The rabbit is a social pet you can discipline them with time but it might take time for them to learn what you are teaching them so even the owners need to be calm with them and patiently discipline them. The rabbits are very sensitive and even get stressed very fast so you need to be soft-spoken to them and do not show any kind of aggressive behavior to them because then it could stress them and if you will beat them up then it will cause some kind of injuries to the rabbit.
The rabbit enjoys their time with their owners if they are not scared of them and also the owners make them comfortable in their own company. You need to even be careful and also sensitive towards the needs of your rabbit so that they can live peacefully and comfortably when living inside the captivity with their owners. The more time you will spend with your rabbit the better you will be able to understand them and also the process of disciplining will also become easy in such a manner.