The ball python is also known s\as the royal python and they are basically found in West and Central Africa in grasslands and shrublands. The ball pythons are one of the most popular pet from the family of snakes, as they are the smallest of the pythons found in Africa. They are nocturnal in nature and are kind of shy. They also need care and support from their owners to stay healthy and lead a stress-free life. In order to create a good bonding, you need to understand them. So we will discuss how to pick up a ball python for the first time carefully without any problem.
When not to approach a ball python?
Before handling a ball python you should also be aware when not to approach a ball python because it can be risky for you and can very dangerous. So you should know the situations when your ball python does not want to be handled and those situations are given as follows:-
When a ball python is shedding its skin so do not try to handle or pick them up as they become quite defensive at this time and are also vulnerable and because of this reason, they can even attack you as they are not comfortable with it your touch. In this situation, it is better to leave them alone and do not disturb them by handling or picking them up.
You should never ever pick up a ball python when they are stressed as they are highly defensive when they are under stress. At this time it is recommended that you should not disturb the ball python and leave them alone. When the ball python is stressed then they do not eat, the ball python is active way too much than other days or is hiding when you are trying to handle it. This clearly means that they are stressed so do not pick them up at this time and leave them alone.
After feeding the ball python do not try to pick them up because they want to rest after eating. When you will try to pick them up after eating they will be threatened by you and will vomit out food as they are not comfortable and will also try to escape from you. You need to give them time and do not handle them forcefully. After feeding the ball python you should at least leave them alone for about 72 hours. After this, you can handle your ball python easily.
When the ball python is new to the place let them be alone and try to recover from the stress that comes from entering the new place. They become fussy and do not like to be handled at this time. Let them get used to the new environment and then you can try to handle the ball python as they will be adjusted in this new environment and it can be handled with ease.
These are the various situations in which you should not handle or pick up the ball python as they are fussy at this time and they do not like to be handle. You should just leave them alone at this time and give them some space.
How to pick up a ball python?
There are few easy steps that will tell you how to pick up a ball python, in order to make your ball python comfortable while you are handling it and it does not create any fuss and you can easily pick it up. The steps to pick up a ball python are as follows:-
- The first and foremost step is to wash your hands properly. The reason is that the ball python has an amazing sense of smell it can easily pick up any smell like your perfume, or some chemical compound. This smell can make the snake quite aggressive and it can even attack you, so wash your hands properly.
- Now let the ball python smell you and be familiar with the fragrance of your body. This will help in building the bond between you two and it can easily recognise you from next time. Also, this will make the ball python quite comfortable when it is around you and will not be threatened by you.
- You can just keep your hand inside the tank for at least 2 to 3 minutes twice every day. So that the ball python is able to recognise you from your body fragrance and also this process will let the snake know that you are not a threat.
- After this, you have to approach slowly towards the tank of the ball python and do stay within the line of sight of the snake. Do not directly approach from backside or when the ball python is not looking at you. The reason is they will get scared and will sense you as a threat which will trigger them and they will start attacking you.
- When your ball python is able to watch you approaching the enclosure and you are doing slow movements they can feel calm and will be at peace when you will pick them up as they will be able to follow your movements.
- It is advised that let the ball python know about your presence before you are opening its enclosure as they will be comfortable when you will actually approach them and will not be shocked by your touch.
- The next step is to pick up the ball python by reaching inside the enclosure from the side. Now slowly and softly pick up the snake from the middle of their body. It is recommended do not ever reach into the enclosure from the top side.
- Now you can easily grab the ball python in your hand. The hold should be firm but at the same time, it should be smooth so that your hold does not hurt the ball python.
- After grabbing the ball python from the middle section of the body, support its body with your hand and the arm. So that it can get comfortable and do not have the fear of falling.
- Sometimes the snakes are not used to picking up so they will be confused and also curious. It will move here and there and will try to adjust. Kindly be calm and do not panic. Do not lose the grip and hold the body of the ball python firmly and support it with both of your hands.
- Let it settle in your hand and in some cases it will even wrap its tail around your arm, so do not panic they are trying to adjust their body and make themselves safe from not falling down from your hand. They are not trying to attack you, so understand their gesture.
- When you notice that the ball python is moving around and not settling down so do not try to stop from moving and try to calm the snake and move slowly with the snake.
- While the snake is moving do not let it move away from your away, keep the body of the snake in supported and firm so that they do not fall off.
- After crawling here and there in your arm it will settle down after some time, but till that time you also need to stay calm and composed and do not panic.
- When you had your time with your ball python you can now place it back into its enclosure by lowering your arm and keep it down into the enclosure.
- Now let the ball python slowly crawl into its enclosure and place it gently on the floor without hurting it.
The steps are easy to follow and you can easily pick up the ball python from its enclosure without much hassle. But before picking it up you have to first understand your pet ball python properly. It is recommended do not to handle the ball python as they do not like it. Just handle it 4 to 5 times a week and also keep in mind the situations when not to approach your ball python.
The steps that have been told to you are easy to follow and every time you will pick up your ball python, it will always be a new experience for you. These steps will help you a lot and the most important thing which makes the handling of the ball python easy is that you need to understand your pet properly and also try to build a bond with them so that you know how to handle them.
Try to spend as much time as possible with your ball python so that you can enjoy the time with them and also they will be familiar with your presence and will not see you like any type of threat. Understanding your pet will keep them happy and healthy and also they will live a comfortable life in their enclosure.