The crested gecko is easy to maintain and handle and that is why it is kept as a pet at many households and even the children can handle them and are one of the best options for the beginners.
They are low maintenance in nature and one do not have to spend lots of money in order to pet them. But still, you need to take care of them and all the small things related to them and do not be careless regarding their needs.
The most important thing in the life of any reptile is the temperature and we should know the right temperature for the crested gecko and also know how to set up the right temperature for them. In this article, we will discuss how to set up the right temperature for the crested gecko in this article.
Why right Temperature For Your Crested Gecko is important?
The crested geckos are quite sensitive to temperature so it is a must that we have to set the appropriate temperature for them. The crested geckos are very sensitive to high temperature and that is why we should not have a temperature above 80 degrees Fahrenheit inside the tank as that can be extremely problematic for the crested gecko and even it can be fatal to the life of the crested gecko.
Ideal temperature in tank
It is recommended to keep the temperature around 72 to 75 degree Fahrenheit inside the terrarium or tank of the crested gecko. So you should be careful with the temperature for the crested gecko as they need an appropriate temperature to live a happy and healthy life.
Mostly the crested geckos will be fine at the room temperature, you need not heat the terrarium too much as it will not be good for your crested gecko. It is also recommended to have a better substrate material.
How to Set up the right temperature for crested gecko?
There is a variation in the temperature from day to night and also temperature varies in different parts of the terrarium. So if the crested gecko wants to cool down its body temperature it will move to the cooler area of the terrarium and when it wants some heat for the body it will move to the warmer area of the terrarium.
So to provide such an environment inside the terrarium you need to set up an appropriate temperature inside it for the crested gecko so that they can get similar environment inside the tank as they get in the wild.
So to set up a perfect temperature for the crested gecko, you have to follow the steps given below:
- The first step is that you have to insert a heating device on one end of the tank of the crested gecko and this is done in order to create the basking spots for them.
- The basking spot can be used by the crested gecko when they want to increase their body temperature and it is recommended to create the basking spot at some height inside the terrarium.
- Now after this you can even add some branches and plants inside the tank of the crested gecko in order to create shade inside the tank. These will also cater to perfect place for hiding and the shadow areas will have a lower temperature for the crested gecko.
- You should check the temperature of the basking spot and it should be around 80 to 83 degree Fahrenheit i.e. 27 to 28 degree Celsius. For the younger or baby crested gecko, the temperature of the basking spot should not be more than 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After checking the temperature of the hotter side you should also measure the temperature of the cooler side and it should not be less than 70 degrees Fahrenheit i.e. 21 degree Celsius.
By these easy steps, you can easily increase or decrease the temperature inside the enclosure of the crested gecko. You have to measure the temperature regularly to maintain the appropriate temperature inside the enclosure of the crested gecko.
Note: You can get one good lightening from here.
If the terrarium of the crested gecko is too cold and you want to increase the temperature there are many heating devices available in the market for serving this purpose and some of them have been listed below:-
- Heat Emitters: Creates enough heat for the crested gecko inside the tank but no light is emitted.
- Heat Lamps: These are mostly preferred by the owners of the crested gecko as they are affordable and also it produces heat and light both for the crested gecko inside the tank.
- Heat Panels: Are put on the top of the tank of the crested gecko and they reflect the infrared heat into the tank of the crested gecko.
- Heat Pads: They are put at the bottom of the tank and will emit heat from the bottom which will heat up the tank of the crested gecko.
- Heat Rocks: the heat rocks are the heating devices that are in the shape of a rock and that produces heat inside terrarium of the crested gecko.
These are some of the heating devices that are available in the market and the heating of the terrarium of crested gecko becomes easy with these devices and also hassle-free and you can heat the terrarium to whatever temperature that you want or that is appropriate for the crested gecko.
Monitoring the temperature
To set up the ideal temperature or the right temperature for the crested gecko inside their habitat you have to monitor it only then it is possible to create an ideal temperature inside the tank. So for that, you have to monitor both the air temperature and also the surface temperature of the terrarium and the various objects present inside the terrarium. For monitoring the temperature you need a thermometer which will give you the temperature of various things that you have measured.
A thermometer plays a very important part in setting the right temperature inside the tank of the crested gecko so do get a thermometer for the crested gecko that is highly advance and gives proper readings of the temperature and that is easy to read and understand for the owners of the crested gecko.
You can also install a thermostat inside the tank of the crested gecko as it will detect the temperature if it will rise above the ideal temperature or fall below the ideal temperature and will generate signals in such cases.
It will make the monitoring process easy and you can easily know when the temperature inside the tank of the crested gecko is not appropriate for them and you need to take some serious actions to set up the right temperature for the crested gecko.
The crested gecko will get sick if the temperature inside their tank is not ideal and in some cases, you can even lose your crested gecko. Be careful with the temperature inside their tank and take various measures to maintain the right temperature for them.
You can closely monitor the temperature with the help of the thermometer and thermostat and check whether the temperature is right or not for them.
A crested gecko needs a perfect temperature to live a happy, comfortable and stress-free life. In right temperature, they do not even fall sick and live a healthy life, as the temperature is an important factor in the life of a crested gecko.