The ball python a non-venomous and the most popular snake that is kept as a pet by most people all over the world. The ball python like any other reptile is known for shedding its skin. It is a crucial period for them and as a responsible owner, you should be aware of the fact that what is going on them and how you should deal with it and how you can help them.
The ball python behaves in a particular manner while they are shedding their skin and you should know everything regarding this.
So in this article, we will discuss the shedding behaviour and everything regarding this of the ball python, so we should know how the ball python behaves at this time and what we can do to help them out when they are shedding their skin.
- 1 What are the symptoms of shedding in ball python?
- 2 What is shedding and why it is caused in ball python?
- 3 How often do ball pythons shed?
- 4 What changes you can see in the behaviour?
- 5 What is the behaviour of the ball python during shedding?
- 6 What should you do when the ball python is shedding its skin?
- 7 What problems occur during the shedding process?
- 8 How to prevent shedding problems?
What are the symptoms of shedding in ball python?
The ball python will show some certain indications when they are about to shed their skin, so you should be aware and notice these indications. This will help you to understand them better and also will let you know when to care for them more.
The symptoms of shedding are dull scale colouration, the ball python becomes lethargic in nature. Also, they will stop eating and even will start behaving aggressive and because of this, their defensive mechanism will be activated. Even their skin will start wrinkling off and you will notice withered skin. Another symptom is that they will have opaque blue eyes.
Try to look for these signs and do not panic, the ball python is just shedding its skin and this is a natural process and will occur in them at regular interval. You being a responsible owner need to take care of them.
What is shedding and why it is caused in ball python?
As we know that like any reptile ball python also shed its skin. Shedding is a natural process and depending on the age of the ball python it will shed its skin accordingly.
You do not need to panic when the ball python is shedding its skin as this is a natural phenomenon and it will definitely occur in your ball python. After shedding the ball python will get a new skin that may be similar or will be slightly different from the older one.
The shedding of the skin occurs in the ball python because it leads to the growth of the ball python and also gain or loss in weight. The shedding, therefore, occurs in the ball python as it indicates growth especially in your reptile, only then they will stay healthy and will get a fresh new skin.
How often do ball pythons shed?
The ball python will shed its skin depending upon its age. The younger the snake will be the faster it will shed its skin. Generally, the ball pythons shed their skin every 4 to 6 weeks. As we know that shedding of skin is related to the growth of the ball python. When the ball python is young it shed its skin faster and a juvenile snake will shed its skin in 30 days.
At the adolescence age, the ball python grows the most so they will shed their skin more frequently. When they grow old the shedding process also slows down and they will shed their skin not so frequently and the shedding at old age will take place somewhere around 45 to 60 days. When your ball python will reach its maturity the shedding process will be quite infrequent.
So being an owner of the ball python you should understand the behaviour of the ball python and also depending upon the age of the ball python you should be aware of the shedding cycle of the ball python. The signs related to shedding should be understood by you only then you will be able to know when your ball python gets to know about the shedding cycle of the ball python.
What changes you can see in the behaviour?
When the ball python is shedding, so definitely you will notice changes in the behaviour of the ball python and also you will get to notice various things. The ball python will suddenly stop eating and they will start becoming less active and will rest more than they usually do.
There will be a change in the attitude or the actions of the ball python and the reason is the extra energy that they will be putting in the process of shedding.
The ball python will also become more aggressive and can even attack you as during this time their defence system is activated. During the shedding process, the ball python prefers to stay alone and do not want any kind of disturbance. They want to rest as most of their energy is utilised in the process of shedding.
What is the behaviour of the ball python during shedding?
As discussed earlier there will be definitely a change in the nature of the ball python. They will act differently at this time and also not every ball python will act in a similar manner. You will notice that every ball python will act in its own way and it will have its own way to respond to this shedding process.
Also, it is recommended not to handle the ball python at this time as they are very sensitive and will try to attack you when they are shedding their skin. Even the ball pythons don’t like to be around anyone so the best thing is to leave them alone and do not try to disturb them.
As we know that the loss of appetite in the ball python so do not try to feed them forcefully let them be and do not stress them as this can even trigger them. During the shedding process, the ball python is very dangerous to be around.
What should you do when the ball python is shedding its skin?
If you love your pet snake and you want that they should not face any kind of problem while shedding their skin, so you should do the following things:
- First thing is to understand your ball python and for that, you need to observe them carefully and looks for the signs of shedding in them.
- Another thing is to be sensitive towards the needs of the ball python and provide them with appropriate levels of humidity as humidity plays a vital role in the life of the ball python. So you need to adjust the humidity levels inside the enclosure of the ball python so that they can shed their skin without any problem.
- Remember not to stress your pet snake and try to give them space by not being around them more than required and also do not handle them too much. The reason being that during the process of shedding they are low on energy and also stressed so they do not want anyone around them. They want to stay alone and rest without any disturbance.
- Try to understand your ball python so that you can build a bond with them and also so that you can help them during the process of shedding in order to make them easier at this time.
What problems occur during the shedding process?
Before discussing the problem that occurs during the shedding of the skin in your ball python, you should know how the proper skin shedding takes place. If the ball python skin is shedding properly then the skin shed will be in one single long piece. But if they are facing any sort of problem then this condition is not applicable.
The skin that will be shed is not a long single piece but it will be in parts or small parts and also not complete skin will be able to come out properly. The snake will be facing problem at this time and that is why they are not able to shed their skin properly.
The reason behind this is that the environment in which the ball python is living is the too dry environment and as we know that the humidity plays a major role in the shedding of skin so there will be definitely a problem when the ball python will shed its skin in the dry environment. You can use devices that will help in increasing the humidity inside the enclosure of the ball python or different source which will help in marinating high levels of humidity inside the tank of the ball python.
If increasing the humidity does not help and the snake is still facing the problem during the shedding process, then it is time to take your ball python to the vet in order to seek some sort of medical help as they would know what is wrong with them and what you can do in order to help them through this shedding process.
How to prevent shedding problems?
In order to make the process of shedding easy for the ball python and also help them in preventing the shedding problems, you can do the following things:-
- Provide them with devices or sources that will be able to maintain the appropriate level of humidity inside the tank of the ball python so that they can easily shed their skin as it is difficult to shed the skin in a dry environment.
- Try not to stress your pet snake much by handling them too much or being around them most of the time, as this will increase the stress in them which will further lead to shedding problems in them. So give them space at this time as they want to stay alone, undisturbed and in a quiet environment.
- Not to force the ball python to eat as this will also stress them and will cause a problem in their shedding process. Provide them with small portions of the meal and let them eat only if they want to do not force them. They can go without food for a couple of weeks if there are healthy so do not force them to eat.
- Do observe the shedding of the skin properly and also examine it and then make sure that the shedding process is complete. The new skin should be proper and even and also colourful which tells us that the ball python has shed its skin properly. In such a case, it is better to visit a vet and take some medical help if needed. So that the ball python is able to shed its skin properly.
- You need to provide the cage with all sorts of accessories that are necessary for the ball python so that the ball python feels comfortable inside its tank and will not have any problem while shedding its skin. They are lethargic at this time so they need everything inside their tank so that they do not need to spend lots of energy here and there. As they are also low on energy during this time.
These are various ways in which you can help in preventing various problems that occur during the process of shedding and help your ball python at this time. As the ball python is very sensitive at the time of the shedding process so you need to be friendly and also careful with them.
The ball python is a calm animal and needs lots of care when they are shedding and being a responsible owner you should be aware of the behaviour of the ball python and take the important steps to help them. The ball python needs space and no disturbance during the shedding process so let them be alone.
Try to understand their behaviour and build a bond with them so that you can help them in making the shedding process easy for them and helping them to go through this period easily without much stress. You would love to see your new and fresh ball python after they have completed their shedding process.