The chameleons are usually known for their colour changing ability according to their surroundings and this characteristic of the chameleon makes them unique and different from other reptiles. The chameleons are also known for their calm nature but when they are not comfortable or they are stressed or are aggressive in nature, they will try to attack you and will bite you.
You should not be afraid of your chameleon and should be aware of the reasons why your chameleon is behaving in such a manner and what can you do to prevent this action of the chameleon. Do not panic in this situation and also calm your chameleon, only then some better results will be achieved. In this article, we will discuss what to do if a chameleon will bite you.
Why does a chameleon bite you?
The chameleon usually does not bite and if they do that is a very rare case and we should be aware of the situation in which they behave so aggressive and also why do they bite, what is the reason behind it, as biting will be the last action of aggression shown by them and we should know what made your chameleon reach such an extent. There could be many reasons behind a chameleon biting you and some of them are as follows:
As usual, stress is known to be the major reason for most of the problems in the chameleons. If the chameleon is stressed the reason could be that they are uncomfortable with their surroundings inside the enclosure or something is wrong in the environment inside their terrarium.
Also, this stress leads to unhealthy and frustrated chameleon which makes it leave with no other option but to bite you when you are closer to them. This clearly indicates that they are not happy in the captivity and this makes them too stressed. Learn how to How to Calm a Chameleon Down?
2. Improper handling
If you are not handling your chameleon properly or are handling them way too much then also the chameleons tend to bite you.
As they are not comfortable when you handle them or try to handle them because this will make them too stressed and will bite you so that you will release them from your embrace. The improper ways of handling your chameleon-like picking them up from above or in some wrong way will make your chameleon angry and they will try to bite you. Chameleons love to be left alone without any stress and disturbance.
3. Feeding with hands
Another major reason behind chameleon biting you is when you feed the chameleon with your hands. In this case, the chameleon actually does not want to bite you intentionally.
The bite is caused due to an accident or excitement of having food. They can by mistake bite you thinking your hand as a food. So you should be careful while feeding them with your hands, as the chameleon is not aware of this fact because they are usually excited when they see or eat food.
4. Scared chameleon
When the chameleon is scared then also there are chances that they will try to attack you and bite you as they will pose you as a threat to them. It is purely a defense mechanism for them. T
his usually happens when they are not comfortable with you or your presence or your touch. So be careful when you are around them and try to make them comfortable and if they try to attack or bite you it is better to leave them alone.
5. Chameleons housed together
As we know that the chameleons are territorial in nature so when we house more than one chameleon together they become aggressive in nature. So because of this aggressive nature, they will try to attack anyone who will come closer to them and because of this reason they will bite you and they will attack anyone in such a situation. We should be careful at this time and do not get too close to the chameleon otherwise they will attack you by biting you.
6. Health Checkup
When you are checking the health of your chameleon and for this, you have to come closer to your chameleon for proper checking of health issues. In this case, the chameleon will not feel comfortable and will pose you as a threat and they will aggressive and as a defence mechanism, they will try to attack you by biting you. So it is always advised to be very careful while checking for some health issues in the chameleons as they can bite you any time.
These are the various reason why the chameleons will bite you and how can you handle these situations and prevent the situation of biting chameleon. By knowing the reasons for the biting cause will lead you to the prevention of the biting chameleon.
What to do if a chameleon bites you?
As we know that there are various reason due to which the chameleons bite us and also there are various ways due to which we can avoid the situation of the chameleon if it is biting you and how to handle the situation if it bites you are stated as below:-
- If a chameleon bites you so try not immediately pull your finger suddenly or immediately from their mouth. The reason being is that by doing so you can even make the bite worse as the chameleon will try to take a deeper bite. Another reason is it can even jolt the jaw of your chameleon and the chameleon can get injuries on this process. So be careful while taking out your finger and be slow.
- Once the chameleon has bitten you have to check the area properly and see whether the blood is coming out or not and if it is so given first aid to your finger by cleaning it and putting antiseptic cream on it.
- You also have to check your chameleon too whether they are also injured or not, if the impact of the bite is too much then there is a chance that the chameleon jaw can dislocate check up on them too.
- In some cases, the chameleon is flung across the room and due to this there can be fractures caused and also many injuries do check up on that too so that you can treat your chameleon properly and give it the immediate help that they need or in extreme condition take them to the vet for proper treatment as they will be able to recover from shock faster if they are treated on time.
- Be calm after the chameleon bites you and do not be harsh on yourself and also not be too angry with your chameleon because it was an accident that occurred by chance. Also because your chameleon is already going through with lots of stuff so because of this it makes the chameleon too stressed and that is why they did what they did. First, calm yourself and then your chameleon.
- The best thing is to avoid this situation to be created in future by knowing your chameleon properly. You can also do certain things to avoid the biting from the chameleon and those things are given as below:-
- Handle them carefully and only if they want.
- Try to be careful while feeding them with hand.
- Do not corner them inside the terrarium.
- Try to make them comfortable and not to scare them.
- Provide them with everything so that they are not stressed inside the terrarium.
- Do not house too many chameleons in one terrarium especially if the tank is not too big.
- Try to understand their behaviour which will indicate what is wrong with them.
- If you are not aware of what is wrong with your chameleon it is better to take your chameleon to the vet.
In this way, you can avoid the risk of being bitten by the chameleon in future and be careful.
These are the various steps that you should follow if your chameleon bites you and you need to be careful with them in future as these incidents will occur many times. You need to be prepared for this and do not panic at this time because your chameleon is not intentionally biting you they are trying to tell you to warn you about something.
Signs of a biting chameleon
There are various signs which will tell you that the chameleon is about to bite you or will bite you and you should be aware of these signs so that you can avoid the bites. The signs that will tell you that the chameleon will bite you or is about to bite you are as follows:-
- The chameleon eyes will start glaring this is a warning sign and they will transfix their eyes on you with the glared eyes.
- The eyes will also become all black when they will try to bite you because they are scared of you.
- The chameleons will start puffing up their body before they will try to attack you by biting you.
- You will also notice that the chameleon will start to open it mouth wide open which clearly indicates that it wants to bite you.
- The hissing sound will also tell you that the chameleon is about to attack you.
- The chameleon will also lunge at you and bite you and wants you to leave them alone.
All these signs indicate that the chameleons do not want to be disturbed otherwise they will attack you by biting you. So you should be careful with them and check for these signs to avoid the biting.
The chameleons generally are not so aggressive neither do they attack usually but because of certain reasons that are not making them happy or are making them stressed they will try to bite you. So make sure that your chameleon is comfortable and healthy and they will stop biting you and will live a happy and satisfying life.