It is difficult to determine the sickness of a rabbit while its body temperature can tell you about the health and illness symptom. The cold ears of a rabbit are definitely a matter of concern. Sometimes it is a very common thing, especially in winters and windy conditions that a rabbit’s ears are cold to touch while they are trying to warm their body.
Generally, rabbits maintain their body temperature through their ears which creates a temperature change in their ears and body. To keep a rabbit cool, heat loss takes place through its ears.
Cold ears of the rabbit show symptoms of illness like lethargy, loss of appetite, drop in body temperature, or any kind of injury that prevents rabbits from generating heat for themselves. Rabbits have unique ears which not only work to hear but also regulate their whole body temperature. Rabbits adapt to cold by reducing the heat loss through the skin as temperature regulation takes place through the ears of rabbits and a rabbit curls up their ears in order to prevent the heat loss throughout their body.
Here we will discuss the reasons behind the cold ears of rabbits and their solutions. The only reason behind the cold ears of rabbits is any kind of illness that the pet is suffering. These are the indications for the rabbit’s owner that their pet is suffering from some kind of illness.
- 1 Are rabbit’s ears supposed to be cool?
- 2 Is it okay that the rabbit’s ears are cold?
- 3 Spotting signs of illness and ear temperature o a rabbit
- 4 Various spotting signs of illness that a rabbit shows are:
- 5 When will the cold rabbit ears be a matter of concern?
- 6 Are rabbit’s ears cold after being spayed?
- 7 What does a cold rabbit feel like?
- 8 How to know if a rabbit is feeling cold?
- 9 Other symptoms from where you get to know about the rabbit cold are:
- 10 What indicates the cold ears of the rabbit?
- 11 What should be the ear temperature of rabbits?
- 12 Signs of fever in a rabbit
Are rabbit’s ears supposed to be cool?
Yes, a rabbit’s ears are supposed to be cold when the temperature drops then blood vessels in the ears contract and try to reduce the blood flow to the rabbit’s ears. Large ears of rabbits with a little amount of fur are tolerant to cold more than heat or hot weather. Lack of fur on the ears helps to escape more heat easily in the summer season.
In the winter season, they fold their ears and bring them closer to their body to reduce the heat loss through any mode like evaporation, convection, or radiation. But when there is a difference between environmental temperature and body temperature like ear temperature is less than surrounding then it allows the rabbit to absorb heat from the surroundings and maintain its temperature to around 102-103 degrees F.
Is it okay that the rabbit’s ears are cold?
Yes, it is okay that the rabbit’s ears are to be cold. Firstly check the difference between the temperature of the rabbit body and the environment. If the rabbit’s ears are hot then it means they are trying to cool down with respect to the environmental temperature.
On the other hand, if the rabbit’s ears are cold, they will mold their ears and bring the inner surface closer to the body and prohibits the escape of heat from the body through any mode like radiation. There are situations where you need to worry about the rabbit’s health while the rabbit’s ears are very hot. One of the reasons may be temperature regulation.
Spotting signs of illness and ear temperature o a rabbit
Rabbits have a tendency to hide their sickness therefore becomes difficult for the owner to determine the problem in the rabbit because they are very vulnerable as they are an easy target for the predators and therefore can survive in all the difficult situations. And this habit doesn’t leave even when they are domesticated. This is the reason that very amazingly they hide their problems. If their ears are either hot or warm then this is not because of the heat regulation in their body but a sign of some serious issue.
Various spotting signs of illness that a rabbit shows are:
- The first and most important sign that a rabbit shows is a loss in its appetite. When a rabbit shows no interest in eating then it is a serious issue because rabbits always love to eat all the time and spend most of the time gazing at the hay, vegetables, fruits, and leaves. It is a serious issue and you should see a doctor because the loss in the appetite brings drastic changes in their body temperature and could be a threat to their life also.
- A rabbit seems to be so much lethargic and shows much laziness in everything. This is again a symptom of some serious illness. In such a case, the body temperature of a rabbit drops down which could create an illness.
- Due to temperature change in their body, some digestive issues also occurs which is difficult to determine but sometimes rabbits try to push their abdomen across the floor in such situations which is also a sign for the owners to visit the vet.
- One of the major illnesses that a rabbit suffers due to this temperature change is snuffling. It is a kind of life-threatening disease in a rabbit feels difficult to breathe properly which creates problems in the respiratory condition of bunnies.
When will the cold rabbit ears be a matter of concern?
There are many other symptoms apart from cold ears that a rabbit is sick. Otherwise cold ears are not mostly a matter of concern with respect to the health issues. A rabbit with cold ears showing the signs of lethargy and appetite loss is one of the symptoms of the concern. Rabbits have a habit to hide their signs of illness which makes pet owners confuse about their sickness and prevents them from getting immediate medical attention.
If a rabbit has cold ears and has a higher difference between a rabbit and environmental temperature then it is the time to see a vet. Other reasons may be consuming something that causes adverse effects and being in contact with germs may also lead to the cause of illness in the rabbits.
Are rabbit’s ears cold after being spayed?
Yes, the rabbit may feel cold after being spayed as anesthesia used on animals drops the temperature of their body. In most hospitals, doctors use heating elements to keep them warm to avoid the risk of hypothermia throughout the surgery. But is totally normal to feel cold during the surgery and you need to keep the rabbits warm as it is important for the rabbits. A very low temperature in a rabbit’s body can lead to life-threatening risks like hypothermia.
What does a cold rabbit feel like?
Rabbits show various signs when they are feeling very cold and you have to understand those signs and do the things to protect them. While rabbits are feeling very cold, they start shivering and also their lips turn blue in color as they are facing problems in their body due to the absence of heat and proper temperature o their body.
While such things happen, try to remove the light materials around them and give them more protection and heat treatment to attain their normal body temperature, and if shivering does not control then immediately visit a doctor.
How to know if a rabbit is feeling cold?
Rabbits do not sweat because the fur is present on their outer body and thus not able to control their body temperature so these fur try to regulate their body temperature by staying dry. Talking about rabbits’ ear, they do not only work to hear but also regulates the body temperature of rabbit. The problem in their ears occurs when their ear flap becomes flat and drooping on the face.
So it is important for a rabbit owner to understand when their ears are hot to touch then their ears are in the forward direction while they are cold they will move to the backside and be more relaxed like hanging down. This is one of the ways to understand a rabbit’s body temperature rather than using a thermometer to check them.
Other symptoms from where you get to know about the rabbit cold are:
- Shows lethargy and laziness every time
- Lack of appetite in rabbits and shows no desire to eat food
- Cold ears when touched
- Lots of shivering by the rabbit
These all are some of the symptoms that a rabbit shows and the owner should keep an eye on the behavior of their rabbits. They also face problems while breathing when feel too cold and nasal discharge will also take place.
What indicates the cold ears of the rabbit?
Cold ears of rabbits indicate that there is something wrong with the health of your pet by having an infection in their digestive system and respiratory tract. Due to this, problems like pneumonia, sniffles, and GI stasis occurs which are very serious problems and you need to see a vet immediately in such cases.
In any case, you have to visit the doctor first because human hands could not feel the exact temperature drop in the rabbit’s body or may take time to understand that there is something wrong with the pet.
What should be the ear temperature of rabbits?
The eat temperature of a rabbit should be around 101-103 degrees F because rabbits are not able to sweat so they totally depend on their ears to radiate heat to cool down and if their ears are colder than the required temperature then there is possibly wrong with the bunny.
A rabbit only sweats through the pads of its feet and depends only upon its ears to radiate heat and cool down. So you have to measure the temperature of the rabbit using a thermometer to keep a check on their health which is the most accurate way to determine the bunny’s body temperature and the changes in their activities.
Also, you can use your hands to check the temperature through their ears and if they are hot it means your rabbit is suffering from fever so immediately take the pet to the doctor and if the ears are too cold then put the rabbit in the towel or sweater keeping the head out in order to keep them warm.
Signs of fever in a rabbit
The various signs that a rabbit shows when suffering from fever are:
- Quick or short breathes or may be out of breathing
- High fever means a temperature above 103˚F
- The body becomes too hot
- Loss of appetite
- Dizziness o disorientation all the time
- Constipation or diarrhea which does not be cured through home remedies like eating yogurt, drinking plain water from the bottle, etc, and if it continues for more than 24 hours you should consult a doctor immediately.
- Discharge from nose and eyes
- Becomes very lethargic and does not move around at all as normally does and also sometimes goes into a state where they do not respond at all.
- Coughing, sneezing, the problem with breathing
Rabbit is a very active animal having lots of fun, playing all the time, and eating almost every minute. Talking about rabbits’ ears they do not function only to hear but maintain the body temperature of bunnies also, therefore, they are larger in size to escape the heat from there and keep the right temperature for rabbits.
The cold ears of rabbits imply they are suffering from any illness and it is time for the owner to take the pet to the vet as soon as possible.