The guinea pig as we know is a cute little pet that is why it is quite popular. But guinea pigs are also sensitive in nature so that is why they need proper care and love. The guinea pig needs to be kept properly so that they can live a healthy and enjoyable life.
The guinea pig needs to be groomed properly for their hygienic lifestyle and not only does their hair need to be groomed but also their nails need to be kept in a proper way so that there is proper growth of the nails of the guinea pig.
So a regular trim of the nails of the guinea pig is required. In this article, we will discuss on how to cut your guinea pigs’ nails so that they can live a comfortable life and the trimming of nails should be in a proper manner.
Importance of cutting nails for guinea pigs
There are lots of reasons to the fact that one should cut the nails of the guinea pigs and it is very important to do so because of the following reasons:-
- The nails of the guinea pig should be cut regularly so that the nails do not grow into the footpad of the guinea pig.
- You should also cut the nails of the guinea pig so that there is no damage caused to the skin of the guinea pig and which can also lead to various diseases further.
- By regularly cutting the nails of the guinea pig helps in preventing the blood supply from being closer to the tip because it causes discomfort to the guinea pigs.
- The proper nails should be cut in order to provide the proper comfort to the guinea pigs.
- While cutting the nails of the guinea pig you can also check whether they are suffering from some sort of skin infection or not and that is why make sure that you observe things while you are cutting the nails of the guinea pigs.
- The cutting of nails of the guinea pig is also very important because while cutting the nails of the guinea pig you can build a strong bonding with them and also this will help you to understand the guinea pig in a proper manner.
These are the various important points that tell us why it is so important to cut the nails of the guinea pig so that they can live a happy and healthy life and also enjoy their life in captivity.
Steps by step procedure to cut your guinea pigs nails
The various steps that are involved in the cutting of nails of the guinea pigs and it is very important to know these steps so that you can properly cut the nails of the guinea pigs and these steps are listed as below:-
- The first and the most important point when you want to cut the nails of the guinea pig is to gather all the materials that are needed for the proper cutting of the nails of the guinea pigs like the nail clipper, towel, or paper, treats, styptic powder, etc.
- The second step is that you need to get your guinea pig and hold them in such a manner so that they are calm and do not panic while you are about to cut their nails. As it is very important to calm the guinea pig so that you can properly cut their nails.
- In order to calm the guinea pig, you can give them treats so that they stay at one place and do not panic in any way, and also they can be distracted due to the treats.
- You can rest yourself on the floor and hold the guinea pig on your lap and this is the way and a simple method to hold them properly.
- After that, you can gain their trust and slowly get the leg that you want to cut and notice whether they are calm or not, and if they are feeling irritated then make sure that you need to first calm them down.
- When the guinea pig has calmed down you can again pick a leg and try again to cut their nails slowly.
- When you are cutting the nails of the guinea pig make sure that you do not cut the nails of the guinea pig from too close because it can cause discomfort to the guinea pig.
- You need to cut the nails of the guinea pig properly so that they do not get scared and be comfortable with the nail cutting.
- Now once you have gained control over the guinea pig then you can easily cut the nails of the guinea pigs.
- You need to provide the guinea pig with the treats throughout the process of cutting nails so that they feel distracted and focus on eating treats and do not focus on their nails cut.
- Also if you do not know how to cut the nails of the guinea pig or you are not comfortable with how to cut the nails of the guinea pig so make sure that you consult the pet grooming experts for this.
- Pet groomers are trained in all this and that is why it is an easy process for them and you can take your guinea pig over there, though it is a cost to the process.
- But there are times when the owners do not have time to groom the guinea pigs you can take them to the groomers as they know how to cut the nails of the guinea pigs.
- Also do check if there is any sort of infection in their nails so that they can live a happy and healthy life.
- Make sure you do not hurt the guinea pig while you are cutting their nails otherwise it will be difficult for you to cut their nails next time.
- The guinea pig needs proper nail cutting and that can be done only if you follow proper steps while cutting their nails.
- The most important thing is to gain the confidence of the guinea pig so that they do not create any sort of issue while the cutting of nails takes place in the future.
- Also, the treats that you will choose for the guinea pigs should be the ones that are liked by the guinea pigs because otherwise, they will not be interested in eating treats while you are cutting their nails.
- The guinea pig is a sensitive pet and that is the reason that you need to be careful with your guinea pigs and make sure that they do not face any sort of discomfort or problem while you cut their nails.
- Understand the body gestures of the body language of the guinea pig so that you know when they are comfortable in cutting nails and when they are annoyed.
- Also, make the nail cutting session small and interesting by talking to them and making them sure about the fact that they will not get hurt in the process.
- Just in case they get hurt apply the styptic powder so that the infection can be prevented and the guinea pig does not face many problems while cutting nails, but make sure and also make every attempt that you do not hurt the guinea pig while cutting off their nails.
These are the various steps and also important tips that you should keep in mind while you are cutting the nails of the guinea pig make sure that the guinea pig does not face many problems and they are calm throughout the process and if they are not calm do not force cutting of nails on them because that is not a healthy practice. Also, you need to understand your guinea pig properly.
The guinea pig is a sweet little pet that is completely dependent upon its owner for everything so make sure that you provide them with everything that you want and also make sure that they will live a happy and healthy life inside the captivity.
Also, the grooming of the guinea pigs is also very important and while grooming the guinea pig you can build a strong bonding with them so that you can live a happy and healthy life together.
The guinea pigs need lots of love and care from their owners and this will also help in the fact that the guinea pig will properly understand their owners too.