The Savannah monitor is a lizard that is a medium-sized animal. They are amazing in nature because they are docile in nature and that is why they are popular. They are easy to tolerate and even maintain which means you can handle them easily.
They are usually found in the United States of America because they are popular over there. It is recommended that savannah monitors are not meant for beginners and that is why you need to be experienced in order to keep them as a pet.
The Savannah monitors need lots of care and love so that they can live a happy and satisfying life. These lizards are not much active in nature which is why they do not create many issues for their owners and also they are good with humans.
Nature of Savannah monitor
The Savannah monitor is a lizard that is ground-dwelling in nature, that is the reason they are found in the burrows, but you can also find them in small trees and even bushes. These are also good climbers and are also known for their digging purpose. The Savannah monitors are also territorial in nature so they will not allow another lizard into their territory. The Savannah monitor loves to stay alone and does not like too much disturbance. They love hunting their prey and that is why they are seen mostly doing that or you will find them basking.
As we know that they are territorial in nature so in order to defend their territory the male lizards can be aggressive. They will not be so active but when they will feel some sort of danger around them then they will become quite aggressive. In order to keep them as a pet, you need to know their nature so that you can keep them safe and also take proper care of them. In order to give them a comfortable life, you need to know them properly and also their behavior in a proper manner.
Diet and Nutrition for Savannah monitor
The Savannah monitor is carnivorous in nature and that is why you need to know what you can feed them. The food that you will provide them should be safe and organic and also it should be free from any sort of chemicals so that they can live a healthy life. The Savannah monitor generally feeds on scorpions, snails, beetles, snakes, lizards, birds, and eggs.
But you need to make sure that the diet you will provide them should not be toxic as it can prove to be fatal for them. So make sure that you feed them with food that is full of nutrients and also that does not cause any issue to your lizard. The Savannah monitor needs to live a healthy life so for this reason you need to provide them with good and full of nourishment.
The Savannah monitor should be provided with water and also 24 x 7 so that they can get water whenever they want to and do not have to wait for you to provide them water. The water should be free from any sort of impurities and also it should be fresh and clean so that they can live a healthy life and stay hydrated full day. Also, water is good for the health and also it helps you to stay away from various diseases so that they do not face any health problems. The Savannah monitor needs water not only for their well-being but also because they sometimes are seen soaking themselves in water.
Overview of Savannah monitor
The basic knowledge for the Savannah monitor that will help you in order to understand them in a better way is listed as below:-
- They belong to the class of the reptiles and belong to the family of Varanus and the species is Exanthematicus.
- The length of the Savannah Monitor is 3 to 4 feet and it varies from one lizard to another.
- The weight of the Savannah Monitor is 5 pounds and also it is an average value that varies for every lizard.
- The average life- span of the Savannah Monitor is 8 to 10 years when they are in the wild, but if they are kept and cared for properly inside the captivity then they can live up to 15 to 20 years.
- They usually feed on snails, scorpions, reptiles, eggs, and also various other organisms as they are carnivorous in nature. But when they are juveniles then they will feed only on insects as that is easy for them for digestion purposes.
- The main predators of Savannah monitors are snakes, birds, and even people.
Facts about Savannah monitor
The facts about the Savannah monitor are interesting and also make them unique from other reptiles some of those facts are listed below:-
- As we know that reptiles are not cute pets but when it comes to the Savannah monitor you will notice that they are cute when compared to other reptiles and this is one of the reasons that they are popular pets as compared to other lizards.
- The Savannah monitor communicates in a very unique way they use all the physical, chemical, and auditory methods in order to convey their messages and also so that they can be understood by others.
- In Savannah monitor male lizards are territorial in nature and in order to maintain their dominance they can even become too aggressive which is why it is not recommended to keep more than one lizard in one habitat and the reason is so that they can live a comfortable life.
- The Savannah monitor is not an active pet but when it comes to their speed they are quite fast in nature and also they can escape quickly even after they are large in size.
- The name of the Savannah monitor is based on the place from where they come and as we know that Savannahs are grasslands so they are found over there because of that the name of these lizards is kept as Savannah monitor.
- Excellent in climbing and also they are good when they hang on trees and another thing that they are good at is digging holes in the ground.
- They are ground-dwelling animals but also they are sometimes found on the low levels of the trees and also in the bushes.
- The Savannah monitor is solitary reptiles which means that they love to stay alone and do not like to stay in groups and another reason for this is that they are territorial in nature.
- You can only group 2 females or one male and one female with each other, but never ever try to group more than one male Savannah monitor with each other as that can be too aggressive.
- They use the sound like hisses and also inflate their throats and even lash their tails so that they can frighten and warn other male lizards about their territory.
- The Savannah monitor is considered to be dangerous in nature and their bite can be venomous but it is not dangerous for humans but is toxic for other animals whom they hunt down. Their bites will not be fatal for you but they will definitely cause some sort of bacterial infection to the area where they have bitten you.
- The Savannah monitors make for a good pet and the reason is that they are docile in nature and also they are friendly towards humans which means that they will not cause any issue for you.
- Not meant for beginners and the reason is that they need lots of care and only experienced owners can give them that care as they are sensitive to some things.
- They are often seen flicking their tongue that is used for the purpose of tasting the air. Yes, the Savannah monitor does taste the air and the reason is this helps them in finding their mate.
- The Savannah monitor is also known to breathe even when their throat is full of food and that is not something easy to do.
- The Savannah monitor loves to hunt and that is why they see hunting their prey most of the time.
These are some of the important facts regarding the Savannah monitor and also the fun facts that will help you to know your Savannah monitor in a proper manner. You will enjoy the company of your pet if you will know them in a better way and also they will try to bond with you so that both of you can live a comfortable life with one another.
Care of Savannah monitor
The Savannah monitor needs lots of love and care which is why they are not recommended for beginners. The Savannah monitor needs lots of space to live a comfortable life and the reason is that they are territorial in nature. Also, it is recommended that you should keep only one lizard in one cage. You should also give them all sorts of basic facilities like proper lighting, humidity, etc.
The Savannah monitor should be fed with proper food and also you can give them proper substrates. They also need proper sunlight for basking purposes. Also, you need to take them to the vet so that you are able to maintain proper health in them. So regular check-up of the Savannah monitor is a must and if you want that your lizard should live a longer life it is necessary to take them to the vets.
The Savannah monitor faces lots of health issues if you do not take proper care of them and some of the health issues that they usually face are listed as below:-
- Respiratory infections
- Metabolic bone disease
- Parasitic infections
- Sickness and illness due to various reason
- Loss of appetite
- Diarrhea and vomiting
These are some of the common health issues that a Savannah monitor goes through and if proper care is not taken these health issues can even prove to be fatal for them. So make sure that you take them to the vet who is an expert in treating and taking care of the Savannah monitor.
When you will take care of the Savannah monitor it does not mean that you have to only take care of them but also you need to make sure that you provide them with a comfortable and healthy environment so that they do not have any sort of issues while they are dwelling inside the captivity. So it means that you need to provide them with the perfect habitat and all the related things to their habitat which will give them a good and satisfactory lifestyle.
They will not only live a healthy life like this but will also live a longer life. All the food, water, substrates, and also various other accessories that are to be provided for them should be of the best quality and do not compromise on anything. If you will not provide them with the basic things they will not be happy and they will stress out a lot which will make them fall sick eventually.
The Savannah monitor is a perfect pet for their owners who have some sort of experience of keeping a reptile as a pet because it is not a good option for beginners as lots of care is needed for them. Also, you need to make sure that you understand them in a proper way so that they live a safe and comfortable life and this will also help in building a strong bonding between you two.
You should not forget that the Savannah monitors are solitary reptiles which means that they like some alone time and you need to provide them with some sort of privacy and let them have their personal time without any type of disturbance from your side. If you will give them what they need they will prove that they are the best pets for you as they are also friendly in nature and also easy to handle.