The box turtle is an amazing animal that has always been an interest of reptile lovers. The box turtle is a sensitive animal so you need to take care of them and also provide them with proper housing and stuff.
As we know that the box turtle needs to be conserved because their species is endangered so it is recommended that if you are keeping a box turtle as a pet, so you also need to take care of them properly and provide them with everything that is important for them and also so that the box turtle is happy inside the captivity and is not having any type of stress.
In this article, we will talk about how to set up a tank for the box turtle and what are the various things that we need and also the steps that need to be followed by us.
How to set up a tank for the box turtle?
To set up a tank for the box turtle you need to follow some steps that are mentioned below:-
- The first step is to set up or to get a large enclosure for them so that they have lots of space to roam. The recommended floor space for their tank is 3 square feet or could be more but not lesser than this. It could be a turtle table, plastic container or even a glass aquarium.
- Never ever choose or get a wire cage for your box turtle and the reason is obvious that they can hurt themselves because of the wire.
- You need to create an enclosure that is escape-proof so make sure that the tank is closed from all sides. So you need to place a cover or something so that they don’t escape from the tank.
- Now after finding or getting the perfect space or the tank for the box turtle, you need to set it up and make it liveable for the box turtle so that they can stay comfortably inside the tank.
- Start by adding the suitable substrate to the bottom of the tank of the box turtle. The substrate should be safe enough for the box turtle and also that can also be used for the burrowing purpose by the box turtle.
- After putting the right type of substrate you need to provide a heat lamp inside the tank of the box turtle so that you can keep the box turtle warm.
- You need to adjust the temperature accordingly and the temperature should be around 85 degrees Fahrenheit and also do make sure that the temperature does not exceed above this temperature because it will burn the box turtle and will not be good for them.
- Now place a heat rock in the substrate as it can also be used as a heat source for the box turtle. Choose the one that suits your box turtle the most. You need to place these heat rocks under the substrate and they will help in providing the heat to the bellies of the box turtle. But make sure that the box turtles should not lie directly on these heat rock because this can burn them or injure them.
- Another heat source that you can use is the under cage heater that you can place under the tank and the heater can get directly attached to the bottom surface of the tank in which you will keep your box turtle.
- Also do not place these heaters on the plastic or the wooden tanks because there are chances that they can get burned.
- Now you can provide a UV source for the box turtle so that they can survive inside captivity. You can use a UV lamp for providing both UVA and UVB rays to the box turtle.
- The UV light should be placed at least 18 inches away from the box turtle and also there are lamps available in the market that can be used as both the UV source and the heat source and these are the convenient option for the owners of the box turtles.
- The humidity level should be proper inside the tank and we know that the box turtle survives at high humidity levels and the recommended humidity level for the box turtle is 60 to 80% humidity. For this, you can use a good quality substrate that absorbs a high amount of moisture.
- You can also add extra accessories like shelters, climbing obstacles, swimming area, etc. These accessories can be added depending upon how extra comfortable and also make the tank more liveable and comfortable for them.
- The accessories that you will add to their tank make sure that they are safe and do not hurt the box turtle in any way so that they enjoy their stay in captivity.
- The appearance or the stuff that is kept inside the tank of the box turtle should be inspired from their natural habitat so that they do not have any sort of problem in staying inside the captivity.
- By following all the above steps, you will notice that everything is done and it is time to place your box turtle inside the tank and make sure that everything inside the tank is in favour of the box turtle and nothing will harm the box turtle or it will have any negative impact on them.
- Remember do not overdo things while making a tank for the box turtle, just keep it simple and comfortable for your box turtle, by providing them with all the basic things that you need.
These are the various steps that you need to follow while building or making a tank for the box turtle and these steps are easy to follow and very easily you can make a liveable tank for the box turtle while keeping in mind what is necessary for them and what is not. Make sure that your box turtle is happy when you place them inside the tank and observe whether they are comfortable inside it or not.
The box turtle is a sensitive animal so you need to be careful while making a tank for them and setting it up for them. You need to first understand your box turtle properly and try to build a bond with them and that can only be achieved by observing them carefully and also by spending time with them.
Make sure that you do not stress the box turtle because they get stressed very easily and also they can get stressed when they are placed in a new environment, let them get used to this new environment and do not force anything on them. You will also feel happy while looking at a happy and satisfied box turtle.
Try to enjoy the company of the box turtle so that they also enjoy yours and will be comfortable inside the captivity that is set up by you. The steps to set up a tank for the box turtle are easy to follow and very easily you can set up the tank for them without much hassle.