The guinea pig is known to be an awesome pet so that is why they are quite popular around the world. The guinea pigs are also sensitive in nature so that is why we need to take care of the guinea pigs.
Also, make sure that the guinea pig needs to be trained so that they can live properly with their owners and also so that they can behave properly and do not harm anyone and also do not get hurt themselves.
In this guide, we will discuss the topic of how to train a guinea pig not to bite so that you can easily handle the guinea pig without getting hurt. So it is very important to understand the guinea pig properly so that both the owners and the guinea pig can live happily together.
Why do guinea pigs bite?
There can be many reasons because of which the guinea pig will start biting. One has to first understand that so that we can teach them properly so that the guinea pigs do not bite. The guinea pigs can bite due to various reasons and some of those reasons are listed as below:-
- Stress is the most common reason because of which the guinea pig can start biting the person who will try to handle them.
- When the guinea pig is hungry then also they can bite the finger of the person considering it as a food item.
- Even when the guinea pig is scared then also you will notice that the guinea pig will start biting as they will get scared and the biting will be their defense mechanism.
- You will also notice when the guinea pig needs to go out for peeing then also they will start biting in order to indicate that they want to go out and pee.
- The pain is another reason which will make the guinea pig bite because they do not want to be disturbed.
- When the guinea pig is not feeling well then also they will try to bite you and the reason is that they will feel irritated and annoyed so make sure that they are not ill when you are handling them otherwise they will definitely bite them.
- When the people overhandle the guinea pigs then they will try to bite you because they will be frustrated and do not like to be overhandled.
- Another reason for biting for the guinea pig is when they are having skin problems which makes them feel irritated when they are being handled or when they are in contact with someone.
These are the various reasons which tell us that what makes a guinea bite start biting and it is very important to know these reasons so that we can control and train the guinea pig so that they do not bite and behave properly. The guinea pig needs proper training so that they are trained in a way that they do not bite anyone.
How to train a guinea pig not to bite?
The guinea pig needs to be trained so that they do not bite anyone after knowing the reasons and we need to know all the steps so that it becomes easy for the owner to train the guinea pig. The various steps related to the guinea pig which helps us to train the guinea pig not to bite are listed as below:-
- The first thing is that do not stick your finger around them because it will scare them and the guinea pig will try to bite you. So make sure do not scare the guinea pig.
- Another most important thing is that the guinea pig should be made comfortable whenever you handle them because they will start biting if they are not handled with care and also they get frustrated if the guinea pigs are being handled for a longer time. So make sure that the handling time should be less and try not to annoy the guinea pig.
- You also need to give the guinea pig lots of personal space so that they do not feel restricted and have full liberty to move around in the house. This will keep them relaxed and they will enjoy their time in the house. The guinea pig feels irritated when they are not allowed to move freely or they do not get plenty of space or you can say their personal space.
- Whenever you will handle the guinea pig make sure that you wash your hands properly and the reason is that the guinea pig has sensitive noses and because of that they can smell anything and if they will find that the smell in your hands is not got or it smells of food or any sort of danger then they will definitely bite you. As before biting the guinea pig smells first and because of that, they will try to bite you.
- You should be able to detect the various causes and the reasons that can be related to the biting of the guinea pig. As it is very important to know the reasons because only then you can train them for biting according to the reasons and the causes because then it becomes easy and you can even understand the guinea pig properly.
- You need to also reward the guinea pig when they behave according to your will and they do not hurt you. This will encourage the guinea pig not to bite and they will not behave in this manner and will feel happy when they will get rewards like treats or something else.
- The most important thing in order train the guinea pig for not biting is also that you need to understand them so that it becomes quite easy for you to train them and also so that the guinea pig also understands you and due to proper understanding between the two the bonding between the two will also become stronger and the training process will become easy.
- You also need to constrict the playing time with the guinea pig so that your guinea pig gets time to rest and when they get proper resting time or break then the guinea pig will be happy and they will not bite you in any way.
These are the various ways in which you can train the guinea pig not to bite so that they can live a happy life with their owners and also so that they do not cause any sort of problem for their owners as the guinea pig biting can be hurtful and also can be infectious.
So that is why you need to train the guinea pig so that they do not bite and it is something very important to do so as pets need to be taught in a proper manner so that they can behave properly with anyone that handles them. So make sure that your guinea pig does not bite when someone tries to handle them or wants to play with them.
The guinea pig needs lots of care and love so that they can live a happy and wonderful life with their owners. Also, owners should provide the guinea pig with the best of everything so that they can enjoy their time and also can stay healthy.
You also need to train the guinea pig and the reason is that they should behave properly and do not hurt anyone who will handle them. The guinea pig is also very sensitive in nature and because of that, the guinea pigs need extra care and love.
The guinea pig should be prevented from the act of biting you and someone else who will handle them or play with them. You also need to understand the guinea pig so that you can provide them with a proper life.