The guinea pig is an awesome pet and also a sensitive one, which means that as a responsible owner you should be taking proper care and love to the guinea pig. In order to keep the guinea pig healthy, you need to bathe the guinea pig for their well-being.
The guinea pig needs to stay healthy and also you need to bathe them in a proper manner. So make sure that the guinea pig needs proper grooming and bathing in order to live a comfortable and hygienic lifestyle.
In this guide, we will discuss how to bathe a guinea pig in a proper manner as the guinea pig is a sensitive animal and you need to be careful while you are bathing the guinea pig.
What is needed to bathe a guinea pig?
There are various things that you need in order to bathe the guinea pig and the things that you need to bathe the guinea pig is listed as below:-
- Pet safe shampoo
- Dusting powder
- Brush for your guinea pig
- Bowl or small tub where you can bathe the guinea pig
- A towel
- Hairdryer (setting should be cool)
- Warm water ( do check the temperature, should not be too hot)
These are the various items that are very important while you bathe the guinea pig so that you can provide them with a clean and hygienic lifestyle.
Also, make sure that whatever items you get for the guinea pig should be safe and gentle on them and it should not be harsh or something that would hurt them.
The guinea pig is so cute that it needs to be handled with care and love. More you will take care of the guinea pig more they will live a happy life.
How to bathe a guinea pig – Step by Step Guide:
There are a few steps involved in order to bathe the guinea pig and these steps need to be followed properly so that the guinea pig does not feel annoyed while taking bath or they do not get hurt. So the steps involved in bathing a guinea pig are listed as below:-
- As we know that the guinea pig does not like water much so it is sometimes a task to bathe a guinea pig. So the first and the foremost step is to handle the guinea pig with care and calm them before you are about to bathe them so that they do not create problems while taking bath.
- In order to maintain the daily hygiene of the guinea pig you can use the pet-safe dusting powder on the guinea pig’s fur and then you need to brush it. Now you can spot clean the fur of the guinea pig with warm and soapy water and a cloth or towel, as you cannot bathe guinea pigs on a daily basis so in this way you can wash them.
- While bathing the guinea pig you need to place the guinea pig in a tub or a bowl and then slowly pour the warm water into it.
- The water should not be too hot or too cold it should have the perfect temperature that can be bearded by the body of the guinea pig.
- Now slowly and properly wet the whole guinea pig and no part should be left while you are wetting the guinea pig.
- Now the most important step is that now apply a little bit of shampoo to the body of the guinea pig and make sure that you use a shampoo that is safe for the guinea pig and it does not hurt them or irritate their skin or eyes in any form.
- Properly massage the guinea pig with the shampoo and if you do not know how to use the shampoo on the guinea pig then you can refer to the instructions given at the back of the shampoo bottle. You can follow those instructions and use the shampoo on to the body of the guinea pig.
- Now after properly applying the shampoo on to the body of the guinea pig, you need to gently and softly rinse the shampoo from their body.
- For rinsing the shampoo slowly pour water on the body of the guinea pig and then rinse off the shampoo from their body. Make sure that the shampoo does not enter the eyes of the guinea pig and you do not leave any shampoo on their body so it is recommended to properly clean the guinea pig’s body after you apply shampoo on it.
- After you completely rinse off the shampoo the next step is to dry the guinea step and for that, you need to wrap the guinea pig in the towel. If you feel that the towel is wet enough then you can change the towel, the guinea pig will shiver in the process and you need to dry them and keep changing the towel.
- While you are towel drying the guinea pig it is recommended that you brush the guinea pig in between so that the hair of the guinea pig do not get detangled and you can comb or brush their hair properly after drying them up.
- After you have towel dried the guinea pig you need to finish the drying process with the blow dryer but remember the setting of the blow-drying should be on the cooler side so that you do not burn the guinea pig or its hair.
- Also while you are blow drying the guinea pig you need to still continue to brush the hair of the guinea pig so that you can prevent it from tangling.
- After completing all the steps you will notice that the guinea pig is clean again and you can easily bathe them without any sort of fuss.
- While bathing your guinea pig you can check if they are having any sort of body issues or allergies on their body and you can take them to the vet if you notice something wrong with them.
- When you will bathe the guinea pig the best thing about it is that you can build a strong bonding with your guinea pig as you will be able to spend time with them and also this will help in increasing the understanding between you two.
These are the various steps involved while you want to take bathe of the guinea pigs and make sure that you follow these steps carefully and properly so that you do not have to face any sort of problem and also the guinea pig is comfortable while you take their bath.
The guinea pig considered to be a sensitive yet cute pet and that is why it is a popular pet and many people want to keep it as a pet. So while you are keeping a guinea pig as a pet you need to make sure that you provide them with best of everything and they do not face any sort of problem while staying in captivity.
All that guinea pig needs is lots of love, care, and understanding from their owners so that they can live a happy and comfortable life with them and also does not create any hassle for their owners.