If you are housing a corn snake ten you need to know that these are to be housed in the perfect enclosure. You need to keep them providing the optimum requirements and following the general rules for their size.
The snakes are small and slender therefore it is very important the pet owners pay attention to securing these. The snakes love to explore and the corn snakes, in general, are very fond of escaping the lid. But whatever you use to secure the snakes in the cage, make sure you are not using tapes. This is because the sticky side of the tapes can injure the snakes. If you are making use of the glass aquarium then you need to invest at least 4 lid clamps so that the glass aquariums can be kept firmly at the place.
If you are making use of the front opening terrarium then you can use the lock so that it is kept securely. In case your snake still manages to escape from here then you need to go through the tips that are particularly for keeping the snakes.
Well, when it comes to housing two snakes together, it is not preferable. This is because of the risk of cannibalism, stress, appetite loss, disease transmission, weakening of the immune system, and a lot more.
Best terrariums or cages for the corn snake
If you are a pet lover then you might also love keeping the snakes as your pet. Housing a corn snake is quite an adventure, this is because they are not only pets but introduce you to nature and the world of amphibians.
Moreover, these are mostly owned by kids. So if you feel that if you are bringing home a snake you are risking the kids, then you should know that it opens the world of curiosity for the kids.
So, while you are thinking of keeping a pet’s snake, the first important thing that you need to consider for it is that you have to choose the best option for this purpose. In this case, we are going to discuss the corn snake and the best cages for it. Here we are going to discuss the best snake terrariums and the ideal sizes from which you can choose.
1. Repti Zoo Flat packed Glass Terrarium
This terrarium is flat and a glass terrarium that can be transported easily. Since it is flat it can be kept anywhere. Assembling the terrarium might require a little effort and you might even need to go through the instruction manual for that purpose.
Different sizes are available and the users can easily choose the best which they find suitable according to the needs. So that the room space is saved you can even go for the terrarium stackers. These will help in getting a number of enclosure layers.
The base is watertight and heater cable is also provided along. There is a cable pass along with it which makes it more durable. Since, the natural light can easily penetrate through it, if the mesh screen is removed, it is, therefore, one of the suitable options for you. The pet can be protected easily as there is a safe lock.
- Assembly is easy
- It is spacious
- Ventilated enclosure
- Some have received the damaged pieces
2. Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit
The beginners can go for this kit that is suitable for reptiles. You can pick the medium size as it fits easily for the corn snakes. All the components that are available in the package are necessary and we even find that the kit comes with the decoration requirements as well as the bedding and care guide too. The care guide helps to know about the installation procedure and how the users can easily use it and maintain it. The glass enclosure also has the rainforest in the background.
The habitat helps the snakes to get the perfect ambiance look. There are dual front doors that make the escape easy. If you are feeding the snake even then it won’t be able to escape and the front window that is present helps to maintain the continuous airflow. The top screen also helps in providing additional airflow. You can select the perfect size bulb.
- The kit has all the requirements
- Access is easy.
- There are some issues with the light fixture
3. Exo Terra Natural Terrarium Enclosure
This enclosure comes up with twelve dimensions. Each dimension helps in providing this perfect space that is required for the corn snake. The price is different depending upon the size you select.
The snakes will enjoy the surface that is extended and is deeper than the aquarium. If you put deep layers of the substrate then you can even provide the substrate heater in the terrarium. It is important that you maintain the ventilation of the tank.
The front door is usually very suitable for maintenance purposes and feeding as well. There are sliding and pivoting doors too that will help you to easily remove the debris. Moreover, unwanted things cannot enter the tank because it has a special lock inside it. Moreover, you can feed the pet through the removable steel cover. It also helps in maintaining ventilation.
- Uninvited insects cannot enter. There is a specially designed lock.
- Also has good ventilation
- Feeding can be done through the stainless steel cover
- Packaging is not good
4. Exo Terra Outback Terrarium
The Exo terra has a lot to offer with the uniquely designed terrarium. This enclosure is very suitable for snakes that are adults. The tank is 20 gallons and has enough room for the full-grown snakes. The way it appears is the same as that of the terrarium that is mentioned above.
The model is more expensive as compared to the previous one and we also see that it is available in limited edition so you can get it for yourself as soon as you can.
It is expensive because of the features it has that use the 3d background and the dual doors. The doors are escape-free and it will help you to view your snake fully. The front window on the tank is for enhanced ventilation. There is a stainless steel mesh as well which provides better airflow. There are closable inlets as well which help in better heating and wiring.
- Provides a lot of space
- The front door opening is quite good
- The interior can be accessed easily
- The model is expensive
5.REPTI ZOO Full Glass Reptile Terrarium
The snake keepers choose this cage for providing a good home to their pets. It is not much different from the other enclosures. The safety in the enclosure is quite suitable and the lid is also quite suitable. Escaping through this is prevented.
The tank offers a paradise appearance to the pet which might appear as the natural habitat. The top frame of the tank is durable and will resist escaping. The users can get easy access to the interior by sliding the door.
There is a lockable latch as well which provides security. The health of your pet is very important. You can even add the heater to the cage. The air can enter the cage easily as there is suitable ventilation.
- It is not expensive
- There is a tight covering
- The cage’s appearance is quite good.
- The front opening is not there
Buyers Guide : How to choose best terrarium?
Thus, there are a lot of options for the snake’s enclosure that the users can buy. The pet owners can go through the above-mentioned tanks, and get the one that is suitable.
Now when you are buying the terrarium for the corn snakes, then you need to look at these.
- The length of the terrarium is to be about the length of the snake, the width of the terrarium is to be about half the length of the snake and the height of the terrarium is to be about half the length of the snake.
- Assuming that the size of the corn snake is between .9-1.5 meters, the minimum size of the enclosure should be at least 75 gallons.
- But if you use the guidelines that were mentioned above then you have to get a terrarium that is of the size 48, 18, 22 inches.
- If we consider that the corn snakes are enthusiastic and if we get a taller enclosure for them, even then it won’t be unappreciated.
- The hatchlings as well as the baby snakes have an instinct that makes them compelled to stay hidden. But staying hidden is not suitable for the baby snakes and it could be dangerous as well. So, for this reason, the owners prefer to get an enclosure that is tiny.
- The corn snakes are suitable for the breeders but might not be beneficial for the owners. The hatchlings are very young and keeping them in the home is not preferable. So, what you can do is that you can keep the young corn snake in the adult-sized enclosure and provide a number of hiding places is to avoid the instinct.
- The instinct will weaker as the snake will get older, as well as when it gets larger. When the snakes grow into adults they will become much more confident and hide less. If you provide them with a larger enclosure then they will get much more space to climb and this will develop better health of the snake.
- If you have any doubts you just need to remember that the larger is always better and so, you need to always go for the larger terrarium.
- The front opening terrarium is the most preferred because they are more secure and this makes access to the terrariums much ore easy. The heat and humidity are held best with these and these are also very attractive for the boot process.
- But, you can even use the appropriate size glass aquariums for keeping the corn snakes. Three walls out of the four should be covered. This is to make the snake feel secure in the cage. You might even need some extra measures to protect your snake from escaping and this is because these cages are not suitably secure for hosing the snakes.