Pacman frogs are cute and adorable pet which is now being adopted by many pet lovers. Their regular maintenance is hassle-free and you do not have to be bothered about the feeding or the terrarium much. However, a small amount of care is needed along with a lot of knowledge.
How to choose the right enclosure for your Pacman frog?
- You must keep in mind a few points that may come in handy when choosing the right product for the Pacman frog.
- The terrarium should have a front door and if possible a top door. The two sliding doors will make the feeding of the pet and taking the pet out easy. The top door will be easy access for the owners as the frog will not be able to get out from the terrarium through this.
- The metal screen top is the right kind of top for the terrarium. It will allow the air and light to pass inside.
- If the bottom frame is raised, it will be easy for the owner to keep a heater inside the substrate.
- A PVC tray can be added to the bottom which is easy to remove and also it makes cleaning the spots hassle-free.
- The enclosure often comes in the dismantled form. The buyer needs patience and time to fix it to make it ready. You must choose the enclosures which will be easy to install. In fact, some companies sell enclosures that are ready to use and no installation process is required.
- The doors should have a locking system.
Necessary items to be kept at the terrarium of the Pacman frog
- The first and foremost guide for the Pacman frog is, do not to attempt to keep more than one Pacman into one single terrarium. The 10-gallon tank should be allotted to only one Pacman frog.
- Use a screen top lid to allow the air and light to pass into the terrarium. The natural environment into the terrarium should be maintained only by allowing the air and light to enter inside that habitat.
- The substrate should be at least 2 inches thick and it should be able to retain the moisture.
- The terrarium should be decorated with live plants with foliage. Pacman frogs love to stay hidden so their habitat should have enough places for a hideout.
- The terrarium should have a bowl of clean water where the Pacman frog can dip its body and absorb the water through its skin. This is the way of letting the water in their system, as they do not drink water by mouth.
Best Pacman Frog Enclosure
Now we can discuss the best enclosures that will be suitable for your pet Pacman frog.
1. Bioterium Tank
You should definitely get a spacious tank for your pet and this tank will be the right option for your pet. This terrarium comes with a raised platform which allows you to keep the heater under the substrate when needed. Also, the dampness will not affect the frog if the bottom is slightly raised. This one is easy to be installed, so you will not be facing any problem in fitting it.
The full glass front keeps the tank clearly visible, so your pet will be able to see through the walls, and the owner also can keep watch on the pet. The cork bark background offers a nice visual display to the terrarium. Also, this is the right-sized terrarium that keeps the frog comfortable and moving inside it.
The removable mesh top allows you to feed the Pacman frog from the top, though the frog cannot escape from the terrarium through that path. The mesh also allows maximum airflow and that will keep the interior fresh and bacteria-free. Not only this, the entrance of UV rays as well as infrared rays can come within the terrarium. These rays are important for the health of the Pacman frog as these ones keep the digestive system alright.
- Well priced product
- Easy to install
- Raised bottom
- Some users get their product without some parts
2. ReptiZoo mini glass terrarium
This is yet another pet enclosure to keep the pet Pacman frog in the best health. It also comes with a mesh screen top that allows the important rays as well as natural light and air to pass through. This is a water-tight terrarium so you do not have to worry about the leakage of water anyway. Also, the mesh will provide ample ventilation.
The feeding ports in the cover make the feeding of your pet an easy job. You can safely put the food inside the terrarium without letting the pet escape from the terrarium. The sliding door works in a lift and pulls manner, which ensures that security, will not be broken anyway. This one is a ready-to-use product and no time will be needed to fix it after bringing it home.
The users are more than happy with this product as the feeding port is really functional and the mesh top makes sense when it comes to maintaining the healthy atmosphere inside the terrarium. Also, the sliding door makes the cleaning of the terrarium an easy job. This is also a sturdy product and will last long.
- Functional design
- Feeding port
- Safe and secure
- The plastic part of the top can be fragile
3. Exo Terra glass terrarium kit
This terrarium is specifically made for amphibian creatures. The front window ventilation is a unique design of this product which has been patented by this brand. The bottom is raised to allow you to put any substrate heater in case it is needed. The bottom is also waterproof to ensure that the Pacman frog will never catch a cold due to the water leakage at the base.
The escape-proof dual door comes with a safe locking system. You can never complain about the escaping of your pet Pacman frog as the system of this enclosure offers full safety. The inlets are closeable thus you can open and close them according to your need.
You can adjust any tube or wire to that inlet to let the electrical devices like the light or the humidifier work inside the terrarium. This rectangular-shaped terrarium offers the great advantage of jumping the frog inside as the vertical height is good.
- Watertight bottom
- Nicely packaged
- Easy to clean
- The hole for wires can remain open
4. Zilla tropical vertical starter kit
Any small arboreal or amphibian creature will live happily inside this terrarium. This one is also vertically high thus giving the jumping opportunity to the Pacman frog. The bottom of this terrarium is watertight so do not be afraid of any kind of leakage. The glass front opening terrarium makes the life of the pet Pacman frog happy and safe.
This kit contains various products like foam background, halogen bulb with a fitted dome, hinged screen top along with coconut husk bedding and feeding dish. Many other types of equipment are included in this kit to help you set up the terrarium for the first time for your pet.
The screen is powder coated which ensures that it will never be rusted. The front locking latch is there to offer the best safety measure for your pet frog. The packaging is reinforced so whenever you order, the undamaged product will reach you.
- Right-sized tank for Pacman frog
- All equipment included in the kit
- All set for the beginners
- Door needs improvement
5. Oiibo 10-gallon tank
This small tank is just the ideal one for a small amphibian pet like the Pacman frog. It has spaces for ventilation so you can expect the frog to enjoy free air and light while living inside it. Not only that, but it will also allow the UVB ray to enter the terrarium as it comes with the screen top. This top is sliding so it makes sense when you wish to feed the frog from the top by opening it.
The opening words in the lift and pull method which ensures the safety of your pet, the Pacman frog will never be able to escape from the terrarium through this kind of entrance. The transparent PVC tray covers the bottom and helps in picking the poop. Also, the tray will be sufficient to keep the water bowl and the substrate.
The installation process of this terrarium is pretty easy. It does not take much hazard or time to be fixed and thus you can shift your Pacman frog into this shelter within a few hours of bringing this package home. This is a lightweight enclosure so you can lift and shift it to any place of your house when needed.
- Sturdy product
- Easy to install
- Sliding entrance
- Safe for the pets
- Lid is fragile.
How big should be the enclosure of the Pacman frog?
Though the Pacman frog is a small one, you need a 10-gallon tank for keeping them. These frogs are pretty unsocial in their behavioral pattern so keeping them segregated in a single enclosure is the best idea. You cannot even keep a male and a female Pacman frog in the same closure unless it is time for mating.
What kind of terrarium should be suitable for the Pacman frog?
You should get the terrarium with the screened top. There should be enough light and air and the screen top will allow the air and light to enter the terrarium. A good amount of natural air will keep the interior of the terrarium fresh and free from bacteria or fungal infestation.
Can you keep the Pacman frog in a 5-gallon tank?
This small pet needs a good amount of space to move around. You cannot keep a Pacman frog in a small enclosure like the 5 gallons one. It may make the frog feel claustrophobic and also it will make the movements limited. Frogs are not lazy creatures and they need to take a tour of their habitat. They love to jump around the space, so you need to keep that much space where the frog will be loitering smoothly without any obstruction. A small tank will not be able to provide it with so much space.
Do Pacman frogs need ventilation?
Yes, ventilation is required for any living creature and obviously, it is much required for the Pacman frogs. A good amount of light and air to stay healthy in their artificial habitat. So when you choose a terrarium for the Pacman frog, make sure that it has a good amount of passage to let the air and light pass inside. The condensation of the walls of the terrarium as well as the material of the terrarium should be eco-friendly and breathable for the pet amphibian.
How much water is needed by the Pacman frog in their terrarium?
Pacman frogs practice estivation in their natural habitat. They dig the burrow in the dirt and stay inside that for several months. This is the process of hydration for the Pacman frogs, by which they breathe as well as keep the water quotient in their body level. This process is called estivation and it protects them from going dehydrated. They are not seen drinking water much in a day.
What kind of substrate should you offer to the enclosure of the Pacman frog?
Any damp substrate will do well for the enclosure of the Pacman frog. Coco fiber can be the ideal option for such a purpose. The humidity is needed by the Pacman frogs in good amount and thus you should arrange for the humidification. But make sure that the substrate is not too wet. If the substrate is much wet then it can cause a lung infection or cold to the Pacman frog.
Also, make sure that the ventilation is not too much. If the screen top allows too much air to come to the terrarium then it may dry up the wet substrate. In that case, you need to drip or sprinkle water on the substrate to keep it moist.