Chameleons are lizards that belong to the family of reptiles. Chameleons are available in different colours and some of their species are also known for changing colours with respect to their environment. The chameleons sit quietly and does not move while sitting on the branches of trees.
The chameleons have 2 feet long tongue and its tongue is sticky that helps the chameleon to get their prey by moving their tongue in the air.
Chameleons are generally found in the rain forests and the deserts of Africa. The chameleons that are found in rainforests are green in colour and the chameleons that are found in the deserts are usually brown in colour. We will discuss about the best UVB bulbs for the chameleons in this article as the UVB plays a very important role in the life of the chameleons.
- 1 Why a chameleon needs UVB bulbs?
- 2 The 7 best UVB bulbs for the chameleons
- 3 Frequently asked questions
Why a chameleon needs UVB bulbs?
For a Chameleon the UVB is important for the chameleons because the chameleons needs to synthesis the Vitamin D3 that helps the chameleons to absorb the calcium that is essential for their body.
So we need to fit the UVB bulbs inside the terrarium of the chameleons so that they will be able to get the UVB and lack of UVB leads to the Metabolic Bone Disease, so be careful that you should provide the chameleons with appropriate amount of UVB by using the UVB bulbs.
It is a very important component for the nutrition of the chameleons so don’t be careless with this component.
The 7 best UVB bulbs for the chameleons
The UVB bulb should be chosen according to the needs of the chameleons and they are based or differentiated on the basis of the ratings, bulb types, the wattage size and the fixture. The UVB bulbs should be best for your chameleon and the best UVB bulbs for the chameleons are listed below:-
1. Evergreen UVB Reptile bulb
The Evergreen is one of the most popular UVB bulbs for the chameleons and the main reason behind is that the bulb has the affordable price and the in such a great price it offers amazing quality of UVB bulbs. It is a 100 Watts mercury vapour bulb that is completely self-ballasted.
The bulb is known to provide both UVA and UVB rays and we know that these both rays are very important for the chameleons on a regular basis. The Evergreen UVB reptile bulb also provides heat for the chameleons that is needed by the chameleons for the basking purpose during the day.
The bulb has a larger life-span as compared to other UVB bulbs that is why it is preferred by many chameleon’s owners and also it provides with lots of amazing features. It is compatible with all sort of enclosures or terrariums. Overall these UVB bulbs are perfect for the owners of the chameleons a sit has so many amazing features and also it comes at an affordable price.
- The Evergreen UVB reptile bulb is self-ballasted completely that means there is no harmful UVC.
- This UVB bulb is all in one source for UVA, UVB and heat and all these are very important for the chameleons.
- The Evergreen UVB Reptile bulb can be used for all sorts of setups of the cages, so you need not to worry with these UVB bulbs as it is compatible with any type of enclosure.
- These UVB bulbs are very sensitive that means that they are prone to breakage if not handles properly, so be careful when you are handling these bulbs or you are packing these bulbs as they can break quite easily.
2. Mega-Ray Mercury Vapour Bulb
The Mega-Ray Mercury Vapour Bulb is one of the best UVB bulb available in the market and is also the top choice of the owners of the chameleons. These bulbs are newly designs which means it has all the latest features that is need inn nay UVB bulb and it produces lots of UVB rays as compared to other mercury vapour bulb but still it is the most safest UVB bulb.
The price of this UVB bulb is not so high and is easily affordable and that is also why it is the best choice for the users of the UVB bulbs.
The Mega-ray mercury vapour bulb is also completely self -ballasted and it also offers both UVA and UVB rays that are both essential for the chameleons. Not only the UVA and UVB rays but also it even provides the chameleons with heat that is needed by them during the day time for the basking purpose. This is one of the safest mercury vapour bulb.
- This is available in high wattage i.e. 160 watts that means it provides a large amount of UVB as compared to other UVB bulbs.
- This bulb is completely self-ballasted which makes it free from UVC.
- It has a longer life span and it is about more than 18 months.
- You can very easily use the mega-ray mercury vapour bulb is any cage set up without any hassle.
- The affordable price of this UVB bulb makes it an amazing UVB bulb for the owners of the chameleons with also amazing features that it has to offer.
- The mega-ray mercury vapour bulb not only provide UVB but also UVA and heat for the chameleons that makes it all in one UVB bulb.
- Sometimes there are chances that these UVB bulbs do not last long even if it has long life span, due to some defects they do not last longer.
- These UVB bulbs are also quite fragile if not handles properly or the care is not taken while the shipment process.
3. VIVOSUN Reptile heat lamp bulb
The VIVOSUN reptile heat lamp bulb is also one of the best UVB bulb for the chameleons. This UVB bulb has everything that is needed by one to keep your chameleon healthy as it is a high quality UVB bulb and the another important thing is that it has such an amazing built that it ensures the hassle free operation for the owners of the chameleons and with a longer life span.
The VIVOSUN reptile heat lamp bulb is a powerful UVB bulb and is outstanding for all sorts of cage setups and you can operate this UVB bulb quite easily.
There is high precision Tungsten filaments that helps in longer life span of the UVB bulbs and is an amazing UVB bulb that is available in the market for the people who want to make their chameleons happy and healthy without much hassle.
- The VIVOSUN reptile heat lamp bulb is an all in one bulb as it not only offers UVB but also UVA and the heat for your chameleons so that they are able to have all essentials that they need.
- This UVB bulb has a long life span that lasts up to 15000 hours without any hassle.
- The bulb is self-ballasted that means there are no harmful UVC emission.
- The bulb is said to have a high grade tungsten filament for a larger life span of the UVB bulb.
- The bulb is very fragile and can break easily if not handled with care or the handling is not done properly at the time of shipment.
4. Zila UVB fluorescent bulb
The Zila UVB fluorescent bulb is a T8 tube that is usually used for medium to large terrarium size because these tubes are quite large in size so they need a spacious enclosure in order to fit them inside those enclosures.
These tubes produces the full spectrum of light which helps in enhancing the natural colours of the chameleon and also the surrounding environment.
The tube design helps in producing a larger light spectrum and also covering a larger area and also tend to produce few hot spots inside the cage. Also the tube can be easily mounted anywhere inside the cage as it is sleek and can fit in anywhere.
They can also be mounted in the vertical direction which cover most of the area inside the cage and it also means that most of the area will be covered with light. It is an overall amazing UVB bulb or tube for the chameleons.
- The built quality of the Zila UVB fluorescent is amazing and that makes it efficient for a longer span.
- The most outstanding feature of this Zila UVB fluorescent bulb is that it produces full-spectrum lighting inside the enclosure of the chameleons.
- The power consumption is also very low by these Zila UVB tube or bulb and it is around 13 watts of consumption.
- These Zila tubes are mostly preferred for the medium to large sized enclosures or cages.
- The Zila UVB fluorescent bulbs are very fragile to use and they have tendency to break if the shipment is not done properly or if the tubes or bulbs are not handled with care.
- They are used for hood or strip light fixtures only and cannot be used for other fixtures.
- The Zila tubes cannot be used for the small enclosures or cages only for medium to large enclosures.
5. Exo Terra solar-glow heat lamp
The Exo Terra solar-glow heat lamp is a self-ballasted mercury vapour bulb that has all sorts of health benefits that is needed by the chameleons. This is also an all in one bulb as it provides your chameleon with UVB, UVA, heat and visible light respectively, all this can be found under one UVB bulb and this is very important for your chameleon and in this manner you can keep your chameleon healthy and happy.
This UVB bulb is also a full spectrum bulb that clearly means that it will help your chameleon to stimulate a wide range of beautiful colours that will help in increasing the appetite of the chameleon and also will them to do the daily activities.
The Exo terra solar glow is a powerful light as it is similar to the natural light and this helps the chameleon to absorb the calcium for their body and will prevent them from dangerous diseases like metabolic bone disease. This is also used by the professional breeders as it has so many amazing features and you can get everything from a single UVB bulb.
- As these bulbs are quite powerful so they are available in 125 watts and also in 160 watts.
- The Exo terra solar glow heat lamp is a self-ballasted mercury vapour bulb which means no harmful emission of UVC.
- This is an all in one bulb which provides UVA and UVB both also with visual light and heat for the chameleons.
- The most amazing thing about Exo terra solar glow lamp is that it also has the benefits of the natural sunlight.
- The UVB can be used for all sorts of setups of cages or terrariums.
- The life span of these bulbs is not much which means that they do not last for long time.
- As other UVB bulbs these are also fragile in nature and can break easily, so be careful with them while handling them.
6. Aiicioo UVB mercury vapour bulb
The Aiicioo UVB mercury vapour bulb that has everything that is needed in order to provide essential nutrients for the chameleons. This is a high quality bulb that can keep your chameleon healthy and it all in one bulb because it provides the UVA and UVB in appropriate amount and not only this , it can emits infrared light and the visual light that are all important for the chameleon to live a healthy life.
The Aiicioo UVB mercury vapour bulb also provides the chameleon with heat that it needs for basking purpose. This is also a self-ballasted bulb that provides a full-spectrum light for the chameleon and also it is important to provide amazing colours and the calcium absorption through the production of Vitamin D3 and this UVB bulb is perfect and the best option for the owners of the chameleons to give them a healthy life.
- There is no requirement of additional ballast as it is self-ballasted.
- There is a thermal reset option in this UVB bulb in order to provide safety to prevent excessive burn.
- The Aiicioo UVB mercury vapour bulb is a high quality bulb that is available at an affordable price.
- This bulb has a longer life span and it can be used for a larger time period.
- The Aiicioo UVB mercury vapour bulb is a fragile bulb that means it is too sensitive and it can break easily if not handles with care and also if the shipment of these UVB bulbs are not done properly.
7. Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB mini Compact Fluorescent
The Zoo med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB mini Fluorescent is an amazing option if the owners want to extend or increase the UVB bulbs as an extension to the previous one.
The bulb is small in size and has a compact design and this means that they can be easily fit inside the small sized cages or any other cage setups. This mini bulb consumes very little power and this is of only 13 watts.
This indicates to the fact that you can use this mini UVB bulb for a longer period of time and there will no tension of high electricity bills. As it is low power bulb so there is no heat produced or even if it is produced it is quite negligible. The maximum effective range of this mini UVB bulb ix around 6 to 9 inches.
This is the best option for the chameleons if they want UVB rays during the day time and the owners can easily get it and fit it inside the chameleon’s enclosure without much hassle and that is why it is one of the best UVB bulb available for the chameleons and that also at an affordable price.
- The best thing about Zoo med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB mini compact fluorescent is that it consumes low amount of electricity.
- A great extension to the already existing UVB bulbs.
- These bulbs provides plenty of UVA and UVB lights to the chameleons.
- They can be easily fitted inside the cage or the terrarium of the chameleon by using the standard threaded sockets.
- These mini bulbs are not long lasting, they need to be changed almost after every 6 months.
- They are too fragile which makes them prone to breakage if not handled or shipped properly, so be careful with these UVB bulbs.
This is the list of the 7 best UVB bulbs available for the chameleons in the market that has all the essential features that is needed by the chameleons on regular basis.
Frequently asked questions
Do chameleons absorb the UVB light from the windows?
No, your pet won’t absorb the UVB from the windows, this is because the UVB rays do not penetrate through the glass. Also, we won’t recommend you to place the cage near the window. This is because, here humidity will be less and will lead to dryness.
Which light is necessary for chameleons?
The chameleons need both UVB and UVA rays. The UVA rays will be emitted through any kind of light so you don’t need to worry about that. But the UVB rays will be emitted only through bulbs that are made for this purpose. This light is necessary to absorb Vitamin D.
Can too much UVB is good?
Yes, you can provide. You can provide 12 hour light per day. If you provide it for more than 14 hours then it causes overexposure.
Can regular bulb be used?
Yes, you can use but you don’t have to replace the UVB bulbs for that. You need to keep about 85 degrees near the basking spot and your pet should be exposed t about 10 hours of UVB light.
Your regular bulb won’t provide this.
How long the UVB bulbs last?
As in, these bulb last for about 6 months. Some might even work for longer periods but 6 months is the minimum span. You should change the bulb when its span is about to end. This is because it will emit weird lights at the end stages which are not suitable.
UVB lights and types:
There are UVB lights which are specifically developed for the chameleons or the reptiles in general. These lights are necessary and if you think that the normal bulbs would meet the requirements then you are wrong.
Three kinds of UVB lights are available in the market:
- Strip lights: These lights will be present in the tanning salons and are designed in order to provide the right amount of UVB light to the reptiles.
- Compact lights: These are somewhat similar to the energy saving lights that you use at your home. These are also available in the coiled form.
- Mercury bulbs: These are the standard bulbs which are developed keeping the reptiles in mind. They provide the right amount of UVB as well as heat that is required by your pet.
The UVB bulbs are the most essential need of the chameleons inside their enclosure or the artificial habitat as they need plenty of UVA and UVB for their body in order to lead a healthy, disease free and a comfortable life and the owner of the chameleon should know about all the essential needs of the chameleon in order to raise them up without any hassle.