Chameleons are beautiful creatures and also chameleons are also kept as pets by many people. Chameleons are mostly found on trees, this clearly means that chameleons love climbing on the trees. Chameleons have long and sticky tongue in order to catch their prey and also they eat their food quite swiftly and this unique feature of chameleons make them quite adorable.
The chameleons are known for changing colours and they often change colours when the want to warm up or want to cool down. They are also known to change or switch colours while talking to other chameleons and they use bright colours in order to attract their mates or if they want to warn the other chameleons about the enemies.
It is said that there are around 150 species of the chameleons around the globe. In order to pet them they are kept in tanks or terrarium and to make their tanks look similar to the real habitat the owners often add live plants in their tanks, so they feel comfortable in their new home and get used to it quite early. We will discuss about the best 7 plants for chameleons in this article.
What is the importance of plants for the chameleons in their habitat?
There are many reasons that why plants are important for the chameleons in their habitat as they serves lots of purposes and these reasons are listed below:-
- If there are plants inside the tank of the chameleon it will help them to hide and as we know hiding makes the chameleon feel more safe and secure.
- The plants also helps in marinating a proper amount of humidity inside the habitat of the chameleon, as humidity is a very important factor in the life of a chameleon.
- The chameleons are fond of climbing, so we need plants that helps the chameleons to climb inside their terrarium.
- The plants inside the tank also help in cleaning the air and which will give room for the fresh air and will improve the air quality inside the tank leading to a healthy environment inside the tank.
- Also the plants gives the similar resemblance to their natural habitat which helps them to stay comfortably inside their new enclosure.
These are the main reason why you need plants in the habitat of a chameleon and the importance of plants in their live is quite critical.
The Best 7 plants for chameleons
The list of best 7 plants that are important for the chameleons and are kept in their habitat is given below:-
The rubber plant is one of the best option for the chameleons because of its rich green foliage and the stalks are quite sturdy because it is a tree. As we know that trees grow quite high so it is not recommended for small chameleon’s tanks, it is best for large or spacious tanks where there is appropriate space for keeping tall plants like rubber tree.
The rubber tree grow in height so it is recommended to do the pruning of such plants. The rubber tree loves the humidity but remember do not over water the plant, just keep them moist and a good drainage should be provided so that the extra water drains off.
The rubber tree has always been the best option as a plant for the chameleon and also these plants are not irritating for the chameleon. Also its low maintenance is quite amazing for the owners as they will not face any sort of hassle while maintaining a rubber tree.
- The rubber tree is a low maintenance plant and that can easily adapt to any environment, which makes this plant a top choice for the chameleons.
- The rubber tree has large leaves that can serve the purpose of hiding for the chameleons.
- . The plant is a good option for giving the jungle effect to the habitat of the chameleon.
- The sap of rubber tree is toxic for the chameleons, if you notice that the chameleons are eating lots of leaves of the rubber tree then the best option is to remove the plant from their surroundings.
- The plant cannot clean the air as it cannot hold much moisture.
- Needs spacious tanks of chameleons as they are heighted plants because they are trees.
The blooming bromeliad is considered to be one of the best indoor plant and also a great option for the chameleons. These flowers are known for its colourful appearance and this will help in adding colours to the habitat of the chameleon.
The colours of this plant can make the chameleons quite excited and they appears pleasant to the vision. The living conditions of these plants are not much complex, that means that they are easy to maintain and the most important thing is that they are non-toxic in nature so there is no harm for the chameleons, even if they eat the plant by chance.
Beautiful flowers grow on this plant and that makes the terrarium of the chameleon look prettier and amazing. The best thing is that these plants are one of the best option for the chameleons and are also easy to maintain by the owners.
- The plant is colour and beautiful flowers grows on it which is appealing to the eyes of the chameleons and make them excited.
- The plant blooming bromeliad are low maintenance plant so there are not much efforts while raising these plants.
- They are non-toxic for the chameleons which makes these plants perfect for the chameleons.
- The plants can easily adapt to its environment and can survive at room temperature also.
- The plants needs space to grow so not recommended for small terrariums of chameleons.
- When the flowers die then the life cycle of the plant also starts to wither away and that is why you need to add fertilizers to increase their life cycle.
The weeping fig is the best and the most common plant used for the habitat of the chameleon. They need sun to grow so the tank of the chameleon need to be placed where there is sunlight. But do remember they do not like too hot temperature, otherwise they will start shedding its leaves. They are beautiful and hardy plants and are also non-toxic in nature.
But they are quite sensitive. These plants are also ideal to give jungle type setting inside the cage of the chameleon. The weeping fig has lots of benefits and they are tall plants which means we need a large enclosure for the chameleon in order to accommodate these plants.
This plant a great choice for the chameleons but they need a bit extra care but that care is worth doing as the benefit of this plants are many for the chameleons in order to stay healthy. The canopy look of the plant serves the purpose of hiding for the chameleon.
- The plant is non-toxic and that makes it edible for the chameleon.
- The weeping fig is known for cleaning the air inside the cage and also it minimizes the odour inside the cage which will provide them with fresh environment and also a healthy one.
- They also maintain humidity level in the habitat of the chameleon as it has the ability to keep the moist environment inside the cage of the chameleon.
- The weeping figs gives the jungle like appearance inside the cage for a chameleon.
- The weeping fig have strong branches that can be used for climbing purpose.
- The plant needs sunlight in order to grow properly, so is not good for the dark and dull places.
- The plants are quite sensitive and can shed leaves if proper care is not taken.
- The plants grow stall so it is a good option for large enclosures of the chameleons.
Cast Iron plant
The cast iron plant is one of the best option of plants for the chameleons because it is a low maintenance plant. The plant is quite thick and also it is safe for the chameleons. The leaves of the cast iron plant are long and supple and do not tear easily so it serves both the purpose of hiding and climbing for the chameleon.
The cast iron plant is a low maintenance plant which is also ha good option for the owners of the chameleon because they will not need to take much care of this plant.
The plant can survive in the toughest condition and this makes it an adaptable plant. It does not get easily affected by temperature or humidity change as it has great adapting capabilities and also because the plant is a low maintenance plant it can be a good option for the habitat of the chameleon.
- The cast iron plant is non-toxic and even the chameleons can drink water from its leaves.
- One of the best example of the low maintenance plant and do not need much care and attention from the owners of the chameleons.
- Can survive in harsh conditions due to its high adapting capabilities.
- The plant has strong leaves and also the growth is thick which helps the chameleon to hide and also to climb on it.
- As we know that the plant has a dense growth and this leads to very little gaps in between the leaves making it difficult for the chameleon to climb.
The golden pothos also known as the Devil’s Ivy because it is impossible to kill a golden pothos. This is also one of the best plant for the habitat of the chameleon as it provides an amazing foliage cover for its habitat. The plant is non-toxic and the chameleon can eat it without any hesitation. They are trailing veins and are hung on the sides of the chameleon’s habitat in a hanging basket.
The golden pothos can survive at room temperature and also do not need much of time to grow and one need to feed them with fertilizers for their longer life span and also a healthy one. This plants are fast growing plants so you need to do regular pruning if it trails off the terrarium of the chameleon.
The plant is also a good looking plant and is luscious green in colour which gives amazing look to the habitat of the chameleon and makes the terrarium more beautiful and green resembling the natural habitat of the chameleon. The golden pothos is the best option for keeping it inside the chameleon’s habitat as it grows quite fast and can also cover the terrarium of the chameleon.
- The golden pothos is a non-toxic plant and the chameleon can easily nibble on it without any fear.
- The plant can cover the terrarium due to its fast growth and create a beautiful and green terrarium for the chameleons.
- The plant is a good for the climbing and hiding purpose for the chameleons.
- The plants are sensitive and not too strong so even if the chameleons can climb on it but still there will be fear of break of those thin branches.
The yucca is an amazing plant due to its looks and also it is one of the best plant for the habitat of the chameleon. It has thick trunks like a tree and is preferred a lot for the tanks of the chameleons and they are quite sturdy to for the climbing purpose and the chameleons can easily climb on these plants.
These plants are also used for cleaning of the air and that is why it is preferred for the chameleon’s habitat. This is also a non-toxic plant and there will be no issue if the chameleon will feed on it. You need excellent drainage for planting the yucca inn the pot and this makes it a plant that needs the care.
You need to observe the plant carefully and check whether the plant is fresh or not and take the appropriate action. But yucca is a good option for the chameleon and also a healthy one.
- The Yucca is a sturdy plant so good for climbing purpose and that is why it is mostly preferred by the chameleon owners.
- The plant is good for cleaning the air inside the tank so therefore it supplies fresh inside the tank and also helps in keep the chameleon healthy.
- The plant is non-toxic which means if the chameleon eats it there will not be any adverse effect on the chameleon.
- The yucca plant need care and attention and only then they can grow properly including the proper drainage system.
The hibiscus plant is an elegant plant and also it has very beautiful flowers growing on it. They are available in yellow, purple, orange, red shades which helps in adding beautiful colour to the tank of the chameleon. Due to this plant the chameleon feels quite excited and they love the brilliant colour of the flower and they are non-toxic in nature, so there will be no issue if your chameleon will eat it.
The chameleon also loves the sight of this plant and the plant is not so high maintenance and you can also keep it for the decoration purpose also inside your house.
But the hibiscus plant do need sufficient amount of sunlight and you cannot take risk with your flower otherwise they will die if they are not given proper amount of sunlight. Everything is beautiful and elegant about this plant and it is also considered the top choice for the plants that are best for the chameleons.
- The plant is appealing to the eyes due to its brilliant colours and it adds life inside the tank of the chameleon.
- They are non-toxic in nature which means they do not have any negative effect on the chameleon if in case they eat it.
- They are not high maintenance plant, so you can keep it.
- They need adequate amount of sunlight to survive otherwise they will become dull.
- Regular trimming is a must to keep your hibiscus healthy and long living and also so that they do not outgrow the tank of the chameleon.
These above mentioned plants are the 7 best plants for the chameleons and their habitat. Every plant has its own pros and cons and every plant is unique from each other and has its own significance.
The plants play a very important role in the life of the chameleon and also are very important part of their habitat and that is why we need to keep plants in their tanks, to give a resemblance of their natural habitat.
They also live a happy and healthier life in the presence of the plants and all the plants have their different benefits. As an owner of the chameleon we should be aware of the plants that can be used in the tank of the chameleon and which plant is best for them.
Also read: Best 5 Plants For Leopard Geckos
As not each and every plant can be a safe option for the chameleon, so we have to be careful about the plants that you are keeping inside the tank of the chameleon.