The bearded dragon is a popular pet from the reptile species and the reason is that they are calm and affectionate towards their owners. But also they are sensitive because of their digestive system and that is the reason that you need to make sure that you feed them with proper food. As not all food items can suit the bearded dragon you need to be careful while you are feeding them with any type of food.
In this guide on the bearded dragon, we will discuss the topic can bearded dragons eat alfalfa sprouts so that we can feed them with food that is safe and suitable for them and also that does not cause any type of issue for them. You need to know about every food item that you can feed bearded dragons for their well-being and also so that they do not have to face any kind of health problem due to some food item.
Can bearded dragons eat alfalfa sprouts?
The answer is a big yes, the bearded dragon can eat the sprouts of alfalfa without any doubt, and also they can eat all parts of the alfalfa plant because it is such a good plant for them that it provides them with lots of nutrients that are good for their health. The alfalfa sprouts are good for them but you need to feed them with these sprouts only occasional basis which means you need to feed them with these alfalfa sprouts in a limited and regulated way.
So make sure that you regulate its feeding and also so that it does not cause any serious health issues to your lovely bearded dragon. But apart from this these alfalfa sprouts are good for their health if fed in a proper quantity because they have a fair amount of nutrients in them which means it is a healthy treat for the bearded dragon.
Health benefits of alfalfa sprouts for bearded dragons
The health benefits of alfalfa sprouts for the bearded dragon, due to which you are feeding them with these sprouts are listed as below:-
- These alfalfa sprouts contain Vitamin A that is good for the eye health of the bearded dragon and also provides them with amazing skin health. Another benefit of Vitamin A is that due to this the immune system of the bearded dragon gets stronger.
- The fiber content in alfalfa sprouts is another benefit because it helps in the proper digestion of the food for the bearded dragon and this will help them to overcome the issue of constipation.
- The Vitamin C in these alfalfa sprouts is good for providing them with a better immune system apart from that it helps them in fighting various diseases.
- There is also high water content in this which will keep them hydrated and also will provide moisture to their skin, as the bearded dragon itself does not drink much water. So this is a great source of water for them.
These are some of the health benefits that bearded dragons will have if you will feed them with alfalfa sprouts in a limited quantity and these benefits will help them to live a healthy and comfortable life.
Health risks of alfalfa sprouts for the bearded dragon
If you will overfeed the bearded dragon with the alfalfa sprouts then obviously they will face various health issues and the main reason is that the calcium to phosphorous ratio of these sprouts are quite low i.e. 0.46: 1, which is not at all good for the bearded dragon that is the reason you should limit the consumption of alfalfa sprouts for the bearded dragon. Some of the health risks involved by overfeeding on alfalfa sprouts are listed as below:-
- Too much fiber consumption can cause diarrhea to the bearded dragon which will further lead to weakness and dehydration in them.
- The Ca: P ratio is too low which causes calcium deficiency in your bearded dragon and lots of issues related to muscles, bones, and teeth will be there in them.
- Metabolic bone disease is another issue that the bearded dragon will face which means their body is not having enough calcium causing some serious issues to their body.
These are some of the common health risks that can be faced by the bearded dragon if they will eat too many of alfalfa sprouts and that is why it is important to control the consumption so that your bearded dragon does not have to face such health risks.
How often you should feed bearded dragons with alfalfa sprouts?
As we know that the alfalfa sprouts should not be fed to the bearded dragon on daily basis and that is why you need to be sure about the fact that how often you can feed them with these alfalfa sprouts. It is recommended that the alfalfa sprouts should be fed to the bearded dragon once a week or in two weeks not more than that. So you should be careful while you are feeding them with the alfalfa sprouts. Make sure you do not give more than the recommended time to the bearded dragon as this can cause serious health to them which you will regret later. So be cautious in the beginning and this will help your bearded dragon to live a healthy and comfortable life.
The bearded dragon is a popular pet and which is why it is very important for the owners to know everything about them before keeping them as a pet, so you need to make sure that you provide them with the best of everything for their well-being and also so that they can live a safe and happy life inside the captivity. You also need to spend time with them so that you can understand them in a better way and also build a strong bonding with them. Even the bearded dragon will enjoy their time with you if both of you will bond with each other and understand each other. A happy pet will even make the owner happy and satisfied.