The bearded dragons are known to be sensitive pets and because of that reason too they are quite popular among reptile enthusiasts.
The bearded dragon belongs to the family of reptiles and due to their sensitivity they have to face various issues and diseases or infections and one of the main reasons is the presence of parasites in their bodies. As we know that the parasites are quite harmful to the bearded dragon and cause lots of health issues in them.
The pinworm is one of the parasites that is found in the gastrointestinal tract. In this guide, we will discuss the topic that how can we treat pinworms in bearded dragons. Pinworms are quite harmful to the bearded dragon and affect the digestive system.
How to treat pinworms in the bearded dragon?
The pinworms are internal parasites that are found in the gastrointestinal tract of the bearded dragon and they are very harmful to the bearded dragon because they absorb all the nutrients and the vitamins of the host on which they are infesting. The pinworms are also known as the threadworms and they are very harmful to the bearded dragon, so that is why it is very important to treat the pinworm in the bearded dragon. The steps that we can follow in order to treat the pinworms in the bearded dragon has been listed as below:
- You need to quarantine the bearded dragon if they are living with the other pets or bearded dragon as the bearded dragon that has been infected due to the pinworm can contaminate the environment and spread the parasite to another one also. So it is recommended to keep the pinworm-affected bearded dragon separated from the other ones.
- You need to take your bearded dragon to the vet and give them the deworming medication under the guidance of the vet. By closely examining the bearded dragon and also by exactly knowing what is wrong with the bearded dragon they can give them the deworming medicines in order to treat the pinworms in the bearded dragon.
- You need to properly clean the tank of the bearded dragon so that the pinworms do not develop. Also, you should not only clean the tank but should also use a disinfectant so that the proper environment is created inside the tank of the bearded dragon. As the parasites often develop in an unhygienic environment. Also, you need to clean their enclosure on a regular basis so that a proper and hygienic environment is maintained.
- You should also wash your hands before and after handling the bearded dragon and this is done in order to stop any transfer of parasites. So you need to very careful while you are handling the bearded dragon. As we know that humans can also transfer parasites to their pets. So you should also maintain proper hygiene whenever you are around the bearded dragon.
- Another important thing is that you should properly know your bearded dragon so that you can maintain a healthy environment and you will know what is wrong with your bearded dragon and why are they acting in a particular way. For this, you need to build a bonding with your bearded dragon so that you can understand them properly and help in treating the pinworms nicely and effectively.
- You should quarantine the new pets as you do not know what is wrong with them and what parasites they must be carrying on their body. So for some days they should be kept separated and also be observed carefully and taken proper care of while they are being quarantined.
- You need to clean and bathe your bearded dragon properly so that you can get rid of the pinworms from their body easily and also so that no new parasites can attack them. Bathe the bearded dragon regularly and also use safe products on their body so that no harmful pinworm can develop on their body, though the pinworms develop internally you need to make your bearded dragon clean from outside too.
These are some of the ways that you can follow in order to get rid of or treat the pinworms in the bearded dragons. As pinworms are harmful to the bearded dragon so it is recommended to treat the pinworms in your bearded dragon.
The bearded dragon is an awesome pet but it needs lots of care and love from its owner because of its sensitive nature.
The bearded dragon can get infested by various parasites like the pinworms so you need to take care of that and treat them so that the bearded dragon can live a happy and healthy life.
You need to understand you’re pet and also need to maintain the hygiene inside their tank so that they are happy while they are living inside the captivity and also you need to try to build a bonding with the bearded dragon as this will help in building the better understanding between the two.
Also You may Like: