Bearded dragons are a type of lizards that belongs to the family of reptiles and are basically found where the temperature is high and the climatic conditions are dry. They are found in the wilds of Australia and also people keep them as a pet over there.
Why Does My Bearded Dragon Run Away From Me?
A bearded dragon is a very sensitive pet and needs a lot of care and support to be healthy and happy. But there are chances that you will get a bearded dragon and they will run away from you and you will wonder what, is the matter and also will try to figure out.
We will discuss the reason, why the bearded dragon what are the reasons that the bearded dragon runs away sometimes from its owners.
Why does my bearded dragon run away from me? The feeling of being threatened is one of the main reason why your bearded dragon run away from you. As the bearded dragon comes to a natural habitat there is some possibility that it will run away from you and this sort of behavior is not something to be concerned about, but there are certainly other reasons too why they prefer to run away from their owners.
Reasons Why Bearded Dragons Run Away
The various reasons that will make your bearded dragon run away from you are as follows:
- The feeling of being threatened is one of the main reason why your bearded dragon run away from you. If the bearded dragon will feel threatened or scared then its first instinct is to run away. The reasons to be scared can be loud noises, needing to poop, when other pets are bugging their enclosure when they feel hungry, the rapid changes in light, and also when being ready to mate.
- When you approach your bearded dragon in the wrong way then also they tend to run away from you. As many owners, they will just reach a bearded dragon and pick them up in the wrong way or also feed them in the wrong way. As if your hand comes to the bearded dragon in an incorrect manner, it can naturally trigger fear in your bearded dragon, and their defense mechanism will get activated and make it run.
- When the bearded dragon is not used to you then also bearded dragons tend to run away from you because it is not used to your presence. As in the wild, the bearded dragon is not used to predators of the size of humans, so they do not know how to handle them. So they will see humans as a threat to them and then they will prefer running away from them.
- The temperature is off in the enclosure then also this type of behavior is seen in the bearded dragon. If the habitat’s temperature or UVB amount is off, then the bearded dragon may have too much energy or not at all. This will result in lethargic nature or overactive nature in your bearded dragon. Then they will tend to run away from you as they will be triggered when you will try to reach them and will run away from you.
- The picking up style that is adopted by you is wrong. As there is a certain way in which you have to pick up your bearded dragon and they cannot communicate with you about this, but they will run which will tell you the way you are picking them up is wrong. You have to understand their signal and understand that the handling done by you is not proper and try to learn the proper way of picking them up. If you will leave the bearded dragon dandling in your hands they will have the fear that you will drop them or hurt them that is why they run away from you.
How to make bearded dragon not running away from you?
These issues can be fixed by following the steps given below:
- Make your bearded dragon as much comfortable as possible, so that they are able to bond with you, by checking the temperature, placing your hand in the tank but not approaching them, and also feed them from your hand slowly.
- Do proper handling of the bearded dragon, by slowly approaching from the front. Scoop from underneath to pick them up and use both of your hands to hold them and support their whole body.
- Also, put them gently on the ground when you want to release them from your grip.
All these things need to be kept in mind and your bearded dragon will try to bond with you and eventually will stop running away from you.
As we know that the bearded dragon is a very sensitive animal to keep as a pet, so we need to be very careful with them. They will run away from you and may see you as your threat but you have to be understanding and should try to bond with them and make them comfortable in your presence, only then they will accept your presence and will be comfortable with you and also will stop running away from you.