The guinea pig is a cute little pet and also that is friendly towards humans but you need to be careful with them because they are sensitive pets. You need to make sure that you take proper care of them and also provide them with the best of everything. The guinea pig also needs love from their owners and if they are happy and healthy then they will be able to live a life that is safe and comfortable for them.
In this guide on guinea pigs, we will discuss the topic that why has your guinea pig started eating paper as this is not a good sign as an owner you should know everything about your pet and also you should be aware of the fact that what is right for them and what is not. So you need to know everything that what should guinea pigs eat and what should be avoided so that the guinea pig can live a healthy life.
Why has my guinea pig started eating paper?
When you will notice that your guinea pig has started eating paper this is not a good sign and if they are doing so then there will be various reasons behind this fact and some of those reasons are listed below:-
- The guinea pig is not getting the right amount of fiber in their body so this is one of the common reasons that the guinea pig will start eating paper because they are fiber deficient.
- Another reason which is also quite common is that when there are other guinea pigs inside the captivity then there is competition for eating food and because of that the guinea pigs eat food quite quickly because of which some guinea pigs do not get much food and they will start eating paper in order to fill their stomach.
- When the guinea pig is stressed then also they will start eating paper because it will act as a stress buster for them and in such cases, they will eat various things that they should not eat and paper is one of that things.
- Also when the guinea pig has long teeth so it becomes tough for them to eat with them so they munch on hay so that they can keep their teeth short by eating hay, by grinding food their teeth will get shorter but when there is not enough food then they will eat paper for the same reason.
- The guinea pig nibbles and plays around with various things that they will find in their cage and if you will notice that they will also play with paper and if left there for a long time they will also start eating it, which is why they are seen usually eating papers.
- Less food is another reason when owners do not provide them with sufficient food then also the guinea pig will eat paper in order to satisfy their hunger as they are not getting enough food that will be able to satisfy hunger of the guinea pig.
These are some of the common reasons which the guinea pig will eat paper and as a responsible owner, you should know these reasons because eating paper is not a good practice and it can cause various issues to them so you need to make sure that you are able to stop their urge of eating paper no matter whatever is the reason.
Risk of eating paper for guinea pig
As we know that guinea pig eating paper is not a good thing and it involves lots of risks and health issues for the guinea pig so you should know about the risks that are there because of paper eating for the guinea pigs and some of those risks are listed as below:-
- The papers are not at all safe for the eating purpose and you should never ever allow eating of paper by the guinea pig and also in large amounts.
- If the papers have dyes and inks on them then it is more harmful and toxic and they can have lots of health issues and problems that can also prove fatal for them.
- While eating paper the guinea pig can also face digestive problems and they can get constipated and also intestinal obstructions and even irregular stool, these are some of the common digestive problems that they go through.
- Another reason is that while eating paper they can even get sick because there can lot of chemicals used in its making like adhesive, gloss, etc. which can affect the guinea pig in various ways, so you need to avoid it in every way possible.
- There is no nutritional value in paper then what is the point of eating paper as it is not doing anything good for the guinea pig which is why you need to completely avoid paper eating by your guinea pig.
These are some of the common risks that are involved in eating papers for the guinea pig. The guinea pig is quite sensitive and even their digestive system is sensitive so you need to make sure that you do not let them eat paper so that they are able to live a healthy and also a happy life.
How to stop guinea pigs from eating papers?
There are various ways by which owners can take certain measures to stop guinea pigs from eating papers and some of those reasons are listed below:-
- The first and the easiest way to stop them from eating paper is to keep it away from the reach of your guinea pig and then they will not be able to eat it in any way.
- You should not use paper as a substrate for their cage and instead use other substrates like the grass, wood chips, coroplast, fodder, etc.
- Do not leave the paper in their cage for a long time then they will definitely eat it because they will chew up everything.
- Provide them with plenty of food so that they do not have the urge to chew on paper and they are full of eating paper.
- Also, you need to make sure that the guinea pig should not be stressed and they should live a happy life in this way eating paper can be avoided.
These are some of the common and also easy ways by which you can stop your guinea pigs from eating paper because it is quite risky for them. Also, you need to keep an eye on them so that they do not eat it not even by mistake as it can cause lots of issues to your guinea pig.
The guinea pig is a cute and also sensitive pet that needs lots of love and care from its owners so that they do not get stressed or sick also you need to provide them with the best of everything in order to give them a healthy lifestyle. There are lots of things that you need to keep in mind while you are keeping a guinea pig as a pet.
Also, you need to make sure that you are able to understand your guinea pig so that they do not face any kind of problem when living with their owners and they live a happy and comfortable life.
You also need to observe the guinea pig care because this will not only build trust between you two but also both of you will be able to build a strong bonding with one another and this will lead to a comfortable and hassle-free lifestyle for you both and will also enjoy each other’s company.