The ball python is an amazing non-venomous snake that is why it is a popular pet throughout the world among reptile lovers. Even the ball python is calm in nature if they have bonded with you and you understand them properly. Thee ball python also needs your love, care and support, as they are dependent upon you for everything inside the captivity.
The ball python needs to stay clean and for them, you do not have to clean their cage but you also need to clean them. For cleaning them you need to take them for bathing and in this article, we will discuss how to bathe a ball python and what all things you need to keep in mind while bathing them. As we know that ball pythons are sensitive animals and they need lots of care in order to stay happy and healthy inside their captivity.
The need to bathe a ball python?
As we know that in order to stay healthy we need to stay clean. It is not only applicable to humans but it also implies for the animals too. The ball python is not only bathing for staying clean but there are many health reasons related to bathing.
Like when the ball python is about to or getting ready to shed its skin then you should bathe the ball python to soften up the skin and this helps in naturally removing them skin and it also soothes their body. Another reason for bathing a ball python is that it helps them in relieving constipation.
The bathing of ball python also helps in killing mites or some other organism that may be present on their body. The ball python will feel clean and healthy after taking bath and also do remember that do not force your ball python to take bath when they don’t want to.
As this will stress them a lot. So try to understand your snake and then take them for the bathing process. One of the major reason behind bathing a ball python is the removal of the dead skin and that is why it is recommended to bathe a ball python regularly. This also helps in the hydration of the skin of your ball python, and also we know that humidity plays a vital role in the life of a ball python. So bathing helps in maintaining the appropriate amount of humidity that is important for their body.
All these reasons are there which tells us why we need to bathe our ball python and how important it is to bathe them. Some ball python loves to take a bath, and some do not so just remember that every ball python will not react the same while taking a bath. You need to be careful while giving them a bath and follow the easy steps that we have discussed in this article.
How to bathe a ball python?
While bathing a ball python do not be careless and keep in mind that they are sensitive in nature so you need to be calm with them while bathing them.
The steps that you should take while bathing them are as follows
- Firstly always remember to bathe the ball python in warm water, as the reptiles are cool blooded animals. So bring warm water for them in order to take a bath.
- The water should not be too hot it should be around 80 degrees Fahrenheit to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Do measure the temperature before using it for the bathing purpose for ensuring the appropriate temperature.
- Do not use any air conditioner while bathing your pet snake as this will prevent the ball python from getting cold. If the air conditioner is on then there are chances that your ball python can get respiratory infections.
- The water that you should be using should be clean water, it should not be chlorinated as the chlorinated water can cause irritation to the skin of the ball python.
- Now after you got the water fill the bathtub or a big container with an inch approx. of the warm water.
- The bathtub or the container should be large enough in order to [provide plenty of space for your ball python as they can comfortably fit into it and take bath, also they love to stretch their body while taking bath.
- Now gently hold your ball python and place them slowly inside the bathtub or the large container in which you have kept the warm water.
- After this let them soak and even swim on their own for about 10 to 15 minutes respectively.
- After 10 to 15 minutes it is time to remove the snake from the bathtub or the large container. Remember to remove them gently from the bathtub and do not hurt them as their skin can be slippery, so be careful while taking them out of the bath.
- Now you have to use a clean, soft and dry towel in order to clean the ball python and pat them dry. While using the towel remember not to be harsh on their skin. Dry them slowly and soft as this will help in absorbing the extra water from their skin.
- There are chances sometimes that your ball python will defecate after taking bath so it is recommended to keep your snake in the holding tank for some time so that you can do the cleaning there. But this is an optional step, it is done in order to do a proper cleaning and also so that the tank of the ball python remains clean.
Bathing a ball python is not a tough task the steps are easy to follow and you can easily bathe your ball python. The only thing that you need to keep in mind is that do not hurt your pet snake and be gentle with them.
It is recommended that be gentle with that and also handle them with care.
You need to bathe your ball python regularly but do not force them to take bath as it can stress them out and also every snake is not similar, they behave differently and also act differently in every situation.
The ball needs to take bath in order to stay happy and healthy and also free from diseases. But in captivity, they are dependent upon you so you need to take care of them and also take them for bathing.
But while bathing them you need to keep few things in mind and follow the above-mentioned steps that are simple and easy to follow. It is recommended to bathe the ball pythons regularly not only keeping them clean or healthy but also so that they can stretch while bathing. This will make them feel happy and satisfied.
As being an owner you can also enjoy the process of bathing and do not panic while bathing them and also be gentle with them. They just need your care, love and attention so that they can live a comfortable life inside their captivity. You can notice how relaxed and excited they will feel after taking a bath and this is only possible because of you.
Want to learn more? Read-