The iguana is an amazing reptile species that is also kept as a pet by many people all around the world and also they are unique reptiles because they are herbivorous in nature. The iguanas are known for their keen vision and because of this, they are able to see various shapes, colors, shadows, etc. you can find various types of iguanas in nature and also the morphs of iguana.
There are two quite famous iguanas and those are the red iguana and the blue iguana. In this guide on iguana, we will discuss the blue vs red iguana so that we can know them better and also so that we can even understand them. So it is very important to know about the red and the blue iguana in order to take proper care of them.
Blue Iguana vs Red Iguana
There are various factors son which we will compare both the blue iguana and the red iguana so that we can know about both of them in a proper way and so of those factors of comparisons are listed as below:-
1. Life span
- Blue iguana: The average life span of the blue iguana in the wild is 25 to 40 years and it has also been seen that in captivity they can live around 69 to 70 years.
- Red iguana: The red iguana can live up to an average life span of 15 to 20 years.
- Blue iguana: The blue iguana can grow up to 5 feet in length i.e. 1.5 meters. They are quite large in size.
- Red iguana: The red iguana can grow up to 7 feet in length i.e. 2 meters. They are even larger than the blue iguana.
- Blue iguana: The blue iguana weighs around 30 lb which is almost 14kg. This makes the blue iguana the largest species in their region.
- Red iguana: On the other hand red iguana weighs around 18 lb which is approximately 8 kg. Though the red iguana is larger in size as compared to the blue iguana they do not weigh more than the blue iguana. They are slimmer but longer than the blue iguana.
Blue iguana: The blue iguana are herbivorous in nature and they eat leaves and stems of the plants mostly. The blue iguana also eats fruits and flowers that are safe for them. You can feed them with green leafy vegetables, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc.
- There are times when the blue iguana occasionally feeds up on insects, fungi, excreta, and also on soil, this is seen in extreme conditions and they do not usually eat this as they are herbivores in nature, but when there is a scarcity of food and also when the blue iguana cannot go anywhere to get food then they will eat whatever is found in their surroundings.
- You can even feed them with a commercial food diet that is available in the market as it is also considered nutrient-packed, a balanced diet for the blue iguana that is easy to feed to the blue iguana.
Red iguana: The red iguana is also an herbivore in nature like the other iguanas. The red iguana is fed with dark leafy greens that are 70% dark and leafy such as spinach, collard greens, etc.
- There are various vegetables that you can feed to the red iguana like cabbage, carrots, broccoli, etc. You can also feed them with fruits such as bananas, mangoes, and even strawberries.
- Also the red iguana can be fed with the commercial food diet for iguana that is found in the market, as it is full of nutrients you can go for this option and also it is easy to feed.
5. Behavior characteristics
The natural behavior is the same for both red iguana and blue iguana. Both the iguanas can be tamed with time and that is why they make up for the amazing pets. Like many other reptiles, the male iguanas are quite territorial in nature, they do not like to share their spaces and want to be left alone.
You will also notice that the iguanas bob their heads and that is used as a means for communication. The red and blue iguana both can be kept as a pet and can be tamed accordingly so that they can live a happy and peaceful life with their owners and the only thing that the owners should take care about the iguanas so that they do not give them the tough is that the owners should provide them with everything that is necessary for the iguanas.
6. Care and grooming
The care and grooming are similar for both the red iguana and the blue iguana. You need to take care of them so that they can live a happy and healthy life in captivity and also for that you need to make sure that you are able to maintain good hygiene for them.
So maintaining a good hygiene you need to groom them regularly as the iguana sheds their skin which means you need to take extra care of them at that time and make sure they do not fall ill. The humidity and temperature need to be maintained at that time.
Also, you need to trim the claws or nails of the iguana regularly so that no scratching and stuff occurs. Their habitat also needs to be maintained so that a healthy environment is maintained inside their surroundings and also so that they do not have any sort of infection or disease.
Also, put a large container inside their tank so that they can immerse their body in it and take a bath in order to facilitate their shedding process.
You need to provide both the red and the blue iguana with the appropriate size tank so that they can live in a spacious tank without any sort of restriction or obstruction.
Also, you need to provide the tank with a substrate that is healthy for them and a perfect environment in which they can dwell properly without any sort of problem. The lighting should be perfect and also you need to provide things like hidings, plants and other objects inside their tank so that they can live a happy and a healthy life inside the tank without any sort of issues.
These are the various points that tell us about the red iguana and the blue iguana. One should know everything about the iguana if they are thinking to pet one of them so that the owners do not have to face any sort of problem while keeping them as a pet. The red and the blue iguana both are amazing in their own way.
The red iguana or the blue iguana both are amazing in their own way, but you need to take care of both of them so that they can live a happy, comfortable and a healthy life inside their captivity.
Make sure that you understand them properly in order to give them a perfect life and also give them whatever they need.
By spending time with the iguanas you will also be able to build a bonding with the iguanas which will help in living a good life and a problem-free life with your iguana. In short, both of you will enjoy each other’s company.