A corn snake is a popular pet snake as it is a non-venomous snake and also a calm-natured snake and that is the reason this snake is also preferred by beginners too. But as a responsible owner of the corn snake you need to properly set up the tank because the tank is the habitat of the corn snake and in order to make your corn snake live a healthy life you also need to set up the tank of the corn snake in a possible way. In this article, we will discuss how we can set up the tank for the corn snake in the best possible way so that they can live a happy and healthy life inside the captivity.
How to set up a corn snake tank?
In order to set up a tank that is comfortable and also has all the features that are important for the corn snake, you need to follow the steps that are given below:
- The first step is to set up or to get a large enclosure for them so that they have lots of space to roam. Never ever choose or get a wire cage for your corn snake and the reason is obvious that they can hurt themselves because of the wire.
- You need to create an enclosure that is escape-proof so make sure that the tank is closed from all sides. So you need to place a cover or something so that they don’t escape from the tank.
- Now after finding or getting the perfect space or the tank for the corn snake, you need to set it up and make it liveable for the corn snake so that they can stay comfortably inside the tank.
- Start by adding the suitable substrate to the bottom of the tank of the corn snake. The substrate should be safe enough for the corn snake and also it can be used for the burrowing purpose by the corn snake.
- After putting the right type of substrate you need to provide a heat lamp inside the tank of the corn snake so that you can keep the corn snake warm, as we know that they are cold-blooded animals.
- You need to adjust the temperature accordingly and also do make sure that the temperature is apt for the corn snake because it will burn the corn snake if it is too high and will not be good for them as many diseases can also occur.
- Now place a heat rock in the substrate as it can also be used as a heat source for the corn snake. Choose the one that suits your corn snake the most. You need to place these heat rocks under the substrate and they will help in providing the heat to the bellies of the corn snake. But make sure that the corn snakes should not lie directly on these heat rocks because this can burn them or injure them.
- Another heat source that you can use is the under cage heater that you can place under the tank and the heater can get directly attached to the bottom surface of the tank in which you will keep your corn snake.
- Also do not place these heaters on the plastic or the wooden tanks because there are chances that they can burn or even melt.
- Now you can provide a UV source for the corn snake so that they can survive inside the captivity. You can use a UV lamp for providing both UVA and UVB rays to the corn snake.
- The humidity level should be proper inside the tank and we know that the corn snake survives at high humidity levels and the recommended humidity level for the corn snake is 60 to 80% humidity. For this, you can use a good quality substrate that absorbs a high amount of moisture.
- You can also add extra accessories like shelters, climbing obstacles, swimming areas, etc. These accessories can be added depending upon how extra comfortable and also make the tank more liveable and comfortable for them.
- The accessories that you will add to their tank make sure that they are safe and do not hurt the corn snake in any way so that they enjoy their stay in captivity.
- The appearance or the stuff that is kept inside the tank of the corn snake should be inspired from their natural habitat so that they do not have any sort of problem in staying inside the captivity.
- By following all the above steps, you will notice that everything is done and it is time to place your corn snake inside the tank and make sure that everything inside the tank is in favor of the corn snake and nothing will harm the corn snake or it will have any negative impact on them.
- Remember do not overdo things while making a tank for the corn snake, just keep it simple and comfortable for your corn snake, by providing them with all the basic things that you need and the tank should be a transparent one so that you are able to see what the corn snake is doing inside it and even they are able to see you.
These are the various steps that you should follow so that you can set up the tank of the corn snake in a proper manner and these steps are easy to follow and you can set up the tank without much hassle for the corn snake.
The tank is the habitat for the corn snake inside the captivity so it is your duty to provide the corn snake with the best of everything so that they can live comfortably indie the tank and also they are able to get a healthy lifestyle and only then they will be able to stay happy within the captivity. You need to set up a proper tank for them and doing that is not a difficult task.
Leave a Reply