The bearded dragon is loved by many reptile enthusiasts but it is also very important to take care of the bearded dragon because they are very sensitive in nature. You need to take proper care of the bearded dragon so that they can live a happy and healthy life.
For the better health and well-being of the bearded dragon, you need to bathe the bearded dragon properly. In this article, we will discuss how to bathe a bearded dragon so that you are able to give them proper care and they are able to live happily and comfortably inside the captivity. The bearded dragon needs a bit more maintenance as compared to other reptiles.
Why to bathe a bearded dragon regularly?
There are various reasons behind the fact that a bearded dragon should be given a bathe and those reasons have been listed as below:
1. Important for hydration
To bathe a bearded dragon is very important because it helps in the hydration of the bearded dragon. As bearded dragon usually get their most of the water from the food they eat, otherwise they do not drink water. But when they have given a bath the first thing they will do is drinking water. So bathing them is very important for their hydration.
2. Better hygiene is maintained
When you will bathe the bearded dragon, then you will definitely notice that the hygiene of the bearded dragon is maintained.
Bathing the bearded dragon will help them to stay healthy because all the diseases and infections will be washed off as the bacteria and virus will not be able to stay on their body after the bathing of the bearded dragon. They will be free from diseases and this will also reduce the risk of infection spreading and that is why bathing a bearded dragon is very important.
3. Skin health is also improved
The skin health of the bearded dragon is also improved once you will bathe the bearded dragon properly. The dead skin is removed if you bathe them properly and also the dry and rough skin is removed from their body that is of no use for the bearded dragon. If you will bathe the bearded dragon regularly then it will help in keeping the skin more hydrated and also it will help in keeping the skin of the bearded dragon supple. You can give them a bath when they are shedding because this will help in getting rid of the skin that is not needed the flecks of dead skin.
4. Improves digestive health
If you will bathe your bearded dragon it will also help in improving the digestive health of the bearded dragon. The reason is simple because the bearded dragon will intake more water at this time which is eventually good for their digestion. As the food will be digested properly and you will have no issue with this. So that is the reason that bathing can improve the digestion of the bearded dragon.
Step by step guide to bathe a bearded dragon
You can bathe the bearded dragon by following the various steps that are listed below so that you do not have to face any sort of problem while bathing them:-
- Firstly remember to bathe the bearded dragon in lukewarm water, as the reptiles are cool-blooded animals. So bring the lukewarm water for them in order to take a bath.
- The water should not be too hot it should be around 85 degrees Fahrenheit to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. To measure the temperature before using it for bathing purposes for ensuring the appropriate temperature.
- Do not use any air conditioner while bathing your pet bearded dragon as this will prevent the bearded dragon from getting cold. If the air conditioner is on then there are chances that your bearded dragon can get respiratory infections.
- The water that you should be using should be clean water, it should not be chlorinated as the chlorinated water can cause irritation to the skin of the bearded dragon.
- Now after you got the water fill the bathtub or a big container with an inch approx. of the lukewarm water.
- The bathtub or the container should be large enough in order to provide plenty of space for your bearded dragon as they can comfortably fit into it and take bath, also they love to stretch their body while taking bath.
- Now gently hold your bearded dragon and place them slowly inside the bathtub or the large container in which you have kept the lukewarm water.
- After this let them soak and even swim on their own for about 10 to 15 minutes respectively. Now brush the bearded dragon gently and do not scrub them or apply lots of pressure on their body as this can hurt them.
- After 10 to 15 minutes it is time to remove the lizard from the bathtub or the large container. Remember to remove them gently from the bathtub and do not hurt them as their skin can be slippery, so be careful while taking them out of the bath.
- Now you have to use a clean, soft, and dry towel in order to clean the bearded dragon and pat them dry. While using the towel remember not to be harsh on their skin. Dry them slowly and softly as this will help in absorbing the extra water from their skin.
- There are chances sometimes that your bearded dragon will defecate after taking bath so it is recommended to keep your lizard in the holding tank for some time so that you can do the cleaning there. But this is an optional step, it is done in order to do proper cleaning and also so that the tank of the bearded dragon remains clean.
Bathing a bearded dragon is not a tough task the steps are easy to follow and you can easily bathe your bearded dragon.
The only thing that you need to keep in mind is that do not hurt your pet lizard and be gentle with them. It is recommended that be gentle with that and also handle them with care. You need to bathe your bearded dragon regularly but do not force them to take bath as it can stress them out and also every lizard is not similar, they behave differently and also act differently in every situation.
Be careful while giving a bath to the bearded dragon as you know that the bearded dragon is sensitive in nature and they need lots of care. So do not hurt them as this will prove to be fatal for their life, so it is recommended that the bearded dragon should be given a bath carefully.
The bearded dragon is an amazing pet if you know how to take care of them but if you are not aware of taking care of them then it is better not to keep them as a pet. As they are very sensitive in nature so lots of care should be given to them and also precision should be taken when you give them a bath. So be careful while you are dealing with them they need your love and understanding for their well-being.