Leopard gecko is a lizard that belongs to the class of reptiles and they live as long as 20 years. They can grow up to 10 inches i.e. 25cm in length. The leopard gecko usually lives in desert and are nocturnal.
The leopard gecko does not have sticky hands as other geckos have, which makes the leopard gecko unable to climb the walls and also the other vertical surfaces.
The leopard gecko is also known for the distinct outer ears and eyelids. It is often referred to as the first domesticated lizard species due to its extensive captive breeding and that is why it is a very popular pet from the species of lizards.
As we know that leopard gecko originates from the desert which means they love warm climate and dry environment. Beside this they need a hiding place that is lovely and moist so that they can retreat when the leopard gecko sheds its skin. In one hiding you can keep up to 3 leopard geckos but the size of the tank or the terrarium should be quite large.
- 1 What is a Leopard Gecko terrarium?
- 2 Best Leopard Gecko Habitat Terrarium
- 3 Buying guide
- 4 FAQs
What is a Leopard Gecko terrarium?
A terrarium is basically a tank or a closed box in which you can create a natural habitat by landscaping it with rocks, wood, live plants and other natural items in order to give natural touch to the habitat of the leopard gecko and they feel as they are living in their natural habitat.
Inside the terrarium the temperature, heat, light and moisture everything is controlled in order to create the best possible habitat for the leopard gecko and they feel homely in their new space.
The average size of the tank or the terrarium should be up to 10 gallons. In this size a single leopard gecko can live peacefully and happily. Inside the terrarium the health and all the important things that is needed by the gecko is kept under constant check, so there is no problem in raising up the leopard gecko inside the terrarium, where everything is under control and also under constant check of the owner.
Best Leopard Gecko Habitat Terrarium
On should be very careful while choosing the terrarium for the leopard because it will the new habitat for the lizard so it should fulfil all the basic needs of the leopard gecko. As from the habitat the health is also connected as if the home is not good and your pet is not happy so it is likely to develop some sort of disease. So in this article we will discuss about the best terrarium for the leopard gecko.
Also about the buying guide as the owner should know everything about the pet that they are about to buy and the frequently asked questions about the leopard gecko. On should know everything about the leopard gecko before you want to pet them as this will be good for both the owner and the pet.
You will be mentally prepare that what you will be dealing with and also you will get the best for your pet which will be in favour of the leopard gecko. The relationship between the owner and the pet should be at its best for the better future of the two.
The list of 7 best terrariums or habitats for the leopard gecko are as follows.
Exo Terra Desert Habitat Kit
This kit is a starter pack or kit which means that it is best suited for the leopard gecko if it is new addition to your family. The terrarium is made of all glass and is water tight and the lid is made of metal mesh for the sake of durability. The size of the exo terra desert habitat kit is 18x18x18 inches and this terrarium can be used for maximum of 2 leopard geckos not more than that as it is not so big.
The reviews for exo terra desert habitat kit are quite good and are positive, the main issue comes for the substrate when you have to replace it while the gecko is inside it, rest it is loved by the owners and is affordable and can be easily set up inside the house.
- The best starter kit for your leopard gecko
- The bottom of this terrarium is fully waterproof
- The tank capacity is of 15 gallons
- The bottom of the tank is raised which gives the space for the under-mount heating pad.
- Has durable metal lid at the top
- All glass construction so also good for aesthetic purpose
- The tank is too tall which means a lot of space is wasted inside the tank.
- The fixture of the light inside the tank can be a waste in some cases.
- As it is made of complete glass it makes the terrarium heavy and also prone to breakage if a lot of force hits the cage or if the cage is dropped by mistake.
Exo terra short all glass terrarium
This is a popular terrarium due to its useful features and also because it is idle for one or two leopard geckos. The capacity of this tank is of 20 gallons which makes it a large tank and you can add other geckos if you start with one gecko, you need not to buy a new tank.
The tank is 24 inches wide, 18 inches deep and 12 inches tall. The height of the tank is perfect as the leopard gecko do not climb or move on vertical surfaces so this tank is not wasting any space. As the terrarium is made of glass so there will be no scratches as compared to plastic terrarium. You can easily feed the gecko and also change the substrate in this tank.
The exo terra short all glass terrarium has almost all positive reviews. The main reason for the positive review is its size that makes it perfect for the gecko and the gecko owner itself as there is no wastage of size in this tank and the space is utilised properly.
- The size of the tank is large it is about 20 gallon size which is good for two or three leopard geckos.
- The tank has dual front door openings which is great for easy access.
- The cage is made of all glass which makes it easy to view what is going inside the cage and also it is amazing from aesthetic purpose.
- The bottom of the tank is raised.
- As the tank is spacious you have plenty of room for keeping lots of items inside the tank.
- The foam backing inside the cage can hide insects and waste.
- As the cage is made of all glass it makes the set up fragile and heavy.
- The lid in this tank is made of plastic which may break or there are chances that it can melt from a heat lamp.
Exo terra high glass terrarium
This tank is a high glass terrarium and is another perfect tank for the leopard gecko from exo terra. This tank is more polished as compared to other exo terra cages and has a dimension of 24x18x36 inches which makes it spacious for the leopard gecko to wander around in the cage.
The terrarium is all glass with a water proof bottom, dual opening doors that allows you the penetration of UVB light for the gecko’s health. The tank have features like sensors and pre-installed wire inlets and tube.
The tank is perfect for the leopard gecko and due to its large size it is preferred by the owners and you can more than one gecko inside this tank. Though it has few drawbacks but still the amazing features of the tank makes it worth buying.
- There is a rock background included in this terrarium.
- There is a double front door design that makes it easier for access.
- It has a screen top for UVB penetration.
- The tank is large enough for the geckos and have lots of space for wandering.
- Glass can overheat in the sun.
- There is lots of vertical space inside the tank that is not needed by the leopard gecko as they do not move vertically and so that vertical space is a complete waste.
- The tank is made up of glass which makes it fragile and also heavy to carry.
Exo terra screen terrarium
The exo terra screen terrarium makes it a perfect habitat for the reptiles like leopard gecko. This tank allows air flow which provides the tank with optimal ventilation and also helps in minimizing the fungus growth and the odour inside the tank of the leopard gecko.
The screen design of the exo terra cage helps in providing the broader temperature gradient that helps leopard gecko in regulating the body temperature and also prevents over heating inside the cage.
The exo terra screen terrarium is a perfect cage with as such no negative reviews and it is preferred by many owners due to its amazing features and it has so much to offer and it is spacious enough to allow the proper ventilation inside the cage.
- The terrarium is best for optimal ventilation.
- The design of the screen provides broader temperature spectrum.
- There are nickel plated latches for the sturdiness of the cage.
- There is a separate tray for increasing the humidity level inside the cage.
- The aluminium screen mesh is there in the terrarium for the penetration of UVB rays in the cage.
- The bottom tray inside the cage is fragile and can break easily.
- Not meant for keeping lots of leopard geckos inside this terrarium.
Exo terra outback terrarium
This terrarium is quite similar to the exo terra short all glass terrarium. The capacity of this tank is of 20 gallons that makes the tank perfect for the leopard gecko as it is very spacious and they can wander easily inside the cage. The cage has dual opening which is perfect for the easy access and also has raised bottom that is perfect for the under tank heater.
The terrarium is not too tall which means that there is no wastage of vertical space as we know that leopard geckos do not move vertically. The back of the terrarium or the habitat has 5 holes that can be closed and these holes are for wires.
The exo terra outback also have amazing reviews and is preferred by many owners as it is spacious and has lots of room for their leopard gecko, but due to their fragile built structure as it made of glass the chances of breaking of the cage increases.
- The cage is spacious enough with a capacity of 20 gallons.
- Has dual front opening for easy access.
- The bottom of the cage is raised.
- Has metal mesh lid so that it does not break easily.
- The bottom of the terrarium is completely water tight.
- The built up is of fragile glass that can easily break.
- The ventilated doors in the front can reduce the temperature and the humidity too much inside the terrarium.
- If there is foaming in the back then it will hide the insects and waste inside the cage.
Exo terra glass terrarium Mayan
The size of this leopard gecko terrarium is 18x18x24 inches which makes it perfect for the leopard gecko and also for the other reptiles to stay inside it. You can decorate the tank with the live plants and branches, so that your leopard gecko feels homely inside this terrarium.
The size is just perfect neither too small nor too big for your leopard gecko. Even this terra glass terrarium has two door opening for better access inside the tank without any risk of escaping of your leopard gecko. There is a front window ventilation for having fresh air inside the cage and also a water proof base. The tank has stainless steel mesh covering to ensure that there is no escaping from the tank.
The tank is also one of the best option for your leopard gecko as it has lots of positive reviews and it as such do not have negative reviews. The owners loved it because of its perfect size as it will not take up much space inside your house that is why it is mostly preferred by the owners.
- The tank has enough space for your leopard gecko to move around in the terrarium.
- The tank is completely escape proof.
- There is a front window ventilation for fresh air.
- The base of the tank is water proof.
- The base of the tank has holes so there are chances that the foot of your leopard gecko can get stuck in those holes.
- The glass construction makes it fragile and it can break if the tank is dropped or it is hit with enough force to break the glass.
- The glass structure is also quite heavy.
Exo terra Nano glass terrarium
This is a decent leopard gecko habitat that is quite affordable and it has good looks and safe and sturdy built-up. There is also space for adding up of other decoration items inside the cage. The dimensions of this cage is 8x8x12 inches which is perfect for small retiles such as leopard gecko as it provides adequate space for the lizard but it can comfortably fit in only one leopard gecko so do not try to fit more than that.
The bottom frame of the cage is raised and is made escape free. The bottom of the terrarium is water proof and there is also front window ventilation for fresh air. The size is small but it do have enough space for the leopard gecko for moving freely inside the cage.
The exo terra glass terrarium is a perfect habitat for the leopard gecko as it is loved by many owners and have given positive reviews due to its low price and so many features in such a price range. Though it has its own drawbacks like quite small size if more than one leopard gecko is kept than this tank is of no use.
- The small and perfect size of the tank makes it ready to fit anywhere at your place.
- The tank is quite affordable with amazing features.
- The built-up of the cage is durable and sturdy.
- Has raised and water proof bottom.
- It also have front window ventilation for fresh air.
- The background is made poorly that fades away quickly with time.
- The size is too small of the terrarium if you want to put more than one leopard gecko inside it.
These are the 7 best options for the terrariums or the habitats of the lizard geckos that have mostly the positive reviews and they offer the best of features for the lizards.
The owners of these tanks are satisfied and they loved these terrariums, though is always the scope of improvement they have few drawbacks but the designs of these 7 amazing terrarium do make the owners overlook the drawbacks and praise the quality and design of these terrariums or habitats.
Before buying a terrarium the owner should know what is best for its leopard gecko. In order to ensure that the leopard gecko can feel the same inside the terrarium as in the wild you have to provide them with best hiding place possible and can add some decorative items inside the terrarium, so that it can resemble their natural habitat and they feel comfortable in such an environment and not get terrified.
The idea to build a terrarium for the leopard gecko is to make them feel at home. The owners should be aware of what type, size and what items should be put inside the terrarium.
Points to remember before buying a terrarium or habitat for a leopard gecko.
The following points should be kept in mind while one has to buy a terrarium or a habitat for its pet leopard gecko:-
- Go for a terrarium that is long and shallow, as the leopard gecko do not climb or move vertically.
- For a comfortable living of a single leopard gecko the capacity of the tank should be around 10 gallons and if you want multiple lizards in your tank then a 20 gallons capacity tank should be preferred by the owners.
- The owners should never buy a wired cage as they are not safe and the leopard geckos can escape from such cages, so it is always preferred to buy glass cages or terrariums as they are safe and are escape proof.
- The substrate that should be used inside the terrarium should be non-irritating and non-abrasive for the skin of the leopard gecko.
- One should avoid the substrates like cedar, pine, gravel, hardwood chips, saw dust and corncob bedding as they are not good for the lizard instead you can use paper towelling, newspaper and artificial turf.
- Do notice the behaviour of the leopard gecko whenever you place them inside the terrarium whether they are liking it or not. Check whether they are comfortable and do check it they are stressed in this environment and if they are not you have to change the terrarium as fast as possible.
- Try to add decorative inside the tank that are non-toxic and if you adding live plants make sure are not poisonous.
- Always buy a terrarium or habitat for the leopard gecko that is having good ventilation. As fresh air is needed by the lizard so that they can live a happy life without any suffocation and also due to the passage of fresh air their will be no development of infections or diseases.
- The cage should have an easy access or you should say multiple doors so that you can easily clean the terrarium or replace the substrate without any hassle.
- The glass terrarium is also preferred because whatever is going inside the habitat can be easily visible to you and also the glass is easy to maintain and clean.
- Before buying also do check the size of the place where you will fit the terrarium as according to the space available you can go for the appropriate size.
- Make sure that your tank is installed with UV bulbs as the leopard gecko needs occasional exposure to the UV rays or otherwise there should be holes inside the tank and you can install the UV bulbs yourself.
- Proper wiring and installation should be there so that you do not have to install things later as this would cause a chaos later.
- Rest you can add up to the items for the betterment of your lizard and buy things accordingly.
These are some of the basic points that needs to be kept in mind while buying a terrarium or the habitat for your lovely pet leopard gecko, if you want best for your pet.
You should be aware of all this beforehand so that when you go for buying the terrarium you would be knowing what exactly you want and what are your priorities that will be best suited for the leopard gecko.
So be careful while buying a habitat for the lizard otherwise you will have to bear the consequences and you can later on advance the cage with sensors and gauges to make your lizard feel more healthy and comfortable.
The frequently asked questions regarding the terrarium of the leopard gecko are as follows:-
What is the most preferable size of the terrarium for the leopard gecko?
The most preferable size for the terrarium of the leopard gecko is of 10 gallons. In such a size they will stay comfortably and have enough space for wandering around. For every extra lizard that you will add inside the tank you need to increase the capacity of tank by 5 gallons.
What usually leopard geckos need in their tanks or terrarium?
You should decorate the tank with non-toxic plants, branches, logs, etc. Even an under tank heater is also recommended in order to control the temperature inside the cage as the leopard geckos are nocturnal and they do not bask under a heat lamp. Rest you can add up items after understanding what exactly your leopard gecko needs.
What type of substrate should be used inside the terrarium or habitat of the leopard gecko?
The substrate that should be used inside the terrarium of the leopard gecko should be non-toxic, non-irritant and non-abrasive for the skin of the leopard gecko and also it should be soft on skin, so usually it is recommended to use newspaper, artificial turf or paper towelling as a substrate for the terrarium of the leopard gecko and avoid using hard substrates inside the cage.
Why is sand not preferred as a substrate now for leopard gecko?
The sand is not preferred as a substrate for a leopard gecko’s terrarium now because it causes indigestion for the leopard gecko. The sand particles are found in the excreta of the lizard and the presence of these particles are not good for them. These sand particles can cause many problems in the digestive system of the leopard gecko.
How can a leopard gecko’s terrarium heated?
You can install a reflector lamp placed on top of the screen. Also the heating devices are placed under the tank in order to control the temperature inside the tank of the leopard gecko. Also thermometers should be placed inside the cage in order to keep a check on the temperature inside the cage.
Why is glass terrarium preferred over a wired terrarium?
The glass terrarium is preferred over a wired terrarium because glass cage is safe as compared to the wired one and also the glass cage is escape proof but in wire cage the leopard gecko will have larger chance to escape. In glass the leopard gecko will not be able to climb as they will slip and that is why they will not get hurt and will wander here and there inside the cage.
These are some frequently asked questions that goes through the mind of an individual or the owner of a leopard gecko regarding the habitat or terrarium. If you know everything regarding your leopard gecko you can easily set up the terrarium for them and provide them with the best environment possible.
The leopard gecko is an ideal lizard for the petting purpose as they are small in size and you can take care of them. Even the terrarium needed by them are not so large which will occupy a lot of space in your home, as they just need an average size tank that is up to 10 gallons.
The owner should be aware of all the things that is needed for the terrarium or the habitat of the leopard gecko. The habitat should be best for your leopard gecko only then they will lead a happy and a healthy life.
The terrarium is a very important place for a leopard gecko as it is switching from a natural habitat to an artificial one so you should be careful about everything and should know what should be kept inside the cage so the leopard gecko feels comfortable in this new environment.
The owners often decorate their terrariums with caves, rocks, live plants, branches, logs, etc. in order to give a natural look to the habitat and they should feel at home and feel comfortable inside the cage.
The health is also an important factor as the terrarium even affects that because lots of infections, fungus and bacteria will develop if the habitat is not good or apt for the leopard gecko and they will start falling ill and which will eventually lead to the death of your leopard gecko. So not only setting up the terrarium is important but also maintaining it is also very important.