The bearded dragons are said to be very sensitive pets and they belong to the reptile family. Bearded dragons can get ill very fast, if their proper care is not taken.
One of the major reason of their illness is also their diet. If they are not fed properly, they tend to fall ill and sometimes this illness is fatal to their life. We will discuss about the grapes, whether they are good or not for the bearded dragon.
So, Can bearded dragons eat Grapes? Yes, bearded dragons can definitely eat grapes, but occasionally and not on regular basis.
Bearded dragons enjoy eating grapes, but the consumption of the grapes should be regulated by the pet owner, as they contain lots of water and sugar that are considered inappropriate for the bearded dragon, if give in large quantities and on daily basis.
How often should the grapes be fed to the bearded dragon?
The grapes should be given in the form of treats to the bearded dragon from time to time and do not feed the bearded dragon with grapes on regular basis as this will be really harmful for them. The grapes should be fed once a week and not more than that to a healthy bearded dragon.
So, you should not be providing bearded dragon with lots of grapes even if they like it and too much of grapes are harmful for the bearded dragon and can also cause illness to them.
Can bearded dragons eat Grapes? Is it harmful?
The harmful effects of grapes on bearded dragons could be as follows:-
Grapes contains oxalates that are bad for the bearded dragon because oxalates bind the calcium which clearly means that even if you give your bearded dragon calcium rich diet, still it steals the calcium from your bearded dragon. This causes deficiency of calcium in bearded dragon.
- There are some species of grapes that have seeds that are not good for the bearded dragon. Bearded dragons get affected from those seeds and they are not able to have a bowel movement until they get help or they die. Due to the consumption of grapes that has seeds many bearded dragons have died also and so it is suggested to buy seedless grapes.
- The amount of water in grapes is too high and too much of water for the bearded dragon is not so good. As we know that the bearded dragons originated from the dry region of Australia and they are used to be dehydrated for longer time. So too much of grapes can cause diarrhoea to the bearded dragon and this is a very bad news for your bearded dragon as it will cause a lot of water loss in your pet.
- As we know grapes are high fibre that is good for the bearded dragons but they also are high in sugar and fruit acid that is not good for your bearded dragon and can affect the health of your bearded dragon very badly.
- As we know that feeding the food that are high in sugar content to the bearded dragon can make then fat and also makes them lethargic, which leads to diseases like diabetes, fatty liver disease etc. and many bearded dragons have to lose their life because of this.
How to prepare the grapes for feeding it to the bearded dragons?
The steps that needs to be followed for preparing the grapes for feeding it to the bearded dragon are as follows:-
- First of all clean the grapes properly, so that there are no chemicals left on the skin.
- Always prefer seedless grapes as the seeded grapes are very harmful for the bearded dragons.
- You have to cut the grapes in small pieces.
- Then place those grapes in between the grapes, so that the bearded dragons also eats the greens with the grapes.
- You should feed one half of a grape or sometimes a full small sized grape per bowl of the greens as a healthy diet.
- Do not feed the bearded dragons regularly with grapes, it has to be given as a treat and that means you can feed them with grapes once a week.
You can prepare the grapes for feeding purpose for the bearded dragons quite easily without any hassle, but be careful with the quantity that need to be fed to the bearded dragon.
Learn more: Train a Bearded Dragon To Eat Vegetables
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Grapes skins?
People often wonder whether grape skins are to be fed to the bearded dragon or not, but bearded dragon can easily eat grape skin without any problems as it is easy to digest and bearded dragons can swallow it without having any issues. But be careful, that do not feed the bearded dragon with lots of grapes.
So one should be very careful while feeding your bearded dragons with grapes as the amount has to be regulated and there are many harmful effects of grapes if they are fed in large quantity and you can also lose your beardie.
The bearded dragon loves grapes a lot, but the owners should not feed them with lots of grapes as it is not good for them. Be very careful with your bearded dragon as we know that they are very sensitive animals and they need lots of care and attention to live a safe, healthy, comfortable and happy life.
These animals needs lots of care as the diet of your bearded dragon needs to be regulated and you need to be careful with each and every item you fed to them.
As any wrong food item can cause illness to your bearded dragon and even if any of the food item is fed in wrong quantity that can also be harmful for your bearded dragon and sometimes it can also lead to the death of your bearded dragon, so you should know the full guide if you want to feed any food item to your bearded dragon.