As we know that bearded dragons are sensitive animals so we should be careful about their diet, health etc. as they need lots of care. We will discuss about whether the bearded dragons can consume tomatoes or not and a complete guide about it in this article.
As we should be careful about the diet of the bearded dragon so we should know what to give them for eating and what are its nutritional value.
Benefits and Nutrition facts of tomatoes
The benefits of having tomatoes by the bearded dragon are as follows:-
- The tomatoes are a rich source of vitamin A, that is very good for vision and immune system and also it is helpful for the reproduction of the organisms.
- Tomatoes are low in sugar as compared to other fruits, as too much sugar can cause obesity, sickness and diarrhoea.
- Tomatoes are low in toxins such as oxalic acid or also known as oxalates and should be consumed in low quantity.
Things to keep in mind of eating tomatoes by the bearded dragon
The harmful effects of eating tomatoes by the bearded dragon are as follows:-
- Tomatoes are low in calcium, which makes it sometimes unfit for the bearded dragon to consume it as calcium is very important for healthy bones and the movement, so deficiency of calcium can cause serious illness to the bearded dragon.
- It is said that the tomatoes have an unhealthy ratio of phosphorous and calcium, as the presence of phosphorous in the tomatoes, stops the calcium from being absorbed in the body. Which again makes the bearded dragon calcium deficient.
Can Baby Bearded Dragons Eat Tomatoes?
The tomatoes can also be fed to the baby bearded dragons, but you should be careful with the quantity that should be fed to the baby as large quantities of tomatoes should not be fed to the bearded dragon. The tomatoes should be given in the form of treat to the baby bearded dragons.
As we know that the baby bearded dragons grow at a fast pace which means that they need nutrient rich foods such as insects and vegetable. But tomatoes are not so rich in nutrients so should not be fed in large quantities to the baby bearded dragon.
Learn More: Can Bearded Dragons Eat Superworms?
How to prepare the tomatoes diet for the bearded dragon?
The steps on how to prepare the tomatoes for the bearded dragon are as follows:-
- Firstly you have to wash the tomatoes carefully and properly.
- After this do not cook the tomatoes, you should provide them in raw form to the bearded dragon. As cooking decreases the nutritional value of the tomatoes.
- The tomatoes should be chopped in to small pieces or chunks so that they can be easily eaten by the bearded dragon.
- Provide the beardie with a maximum of a quarter of a tomato.
- Tomatoes are basically used as a salad topper to make it appear tempting for the bearded dragon.
This is the full guide on how safe are the tomatoes for the bearded dragon and how it is beneficial or harmful for them.
The bearded dragon should be fed properly and one should know what is best for its pet and the diet should be appropriate for raising a healthy bearded dragon.