The Akita is known for its power and also its strength and is considered a very dog, but this dog is not for everyone because not everyone can control them or keep them as a pet. The Akita is an amazing dog because they are known for guarding the owner even by risking their life.
As we know that Akita shed their hair but that shedding is quite excessive so in that case, you need to groom their property and do not be careless about their grooming. In this article, we will discuss the grooming of Akita and how we can groom our Akita nicely and also in a proper manner.
Grooming is very essential for the Akita because it keeps them healthy and also free from all sorts of diseases and infections.
Best Grooming Tips for Akitas
The Akita has a thick hair coat which needs lots of care and for that, we need to groom them in a particular way and not only their hair coat but other body parts so that they are cleaned properly and nothing is irritating them and the various steps that are involved in the grooming of Akita are as follows:
- To start with you need to bathe your Akita for that place them in a tub or a bath and then wet their hair coat properly. You need to bathe your Akita at least twice a week.
- Do check the temperature of the water with which you are wetting your dog in order to ensure whether the dog is comfortable or not.
- After wetting the hair coat of the Akita apply a little bit of shampoo in the downward motion so that the shampoo is applied properly to their hair. Be careful while applying the shampoo and make sure that you do not let the shampoo enter the eyes of the Akita as it can hurt your dog and it can cause irritation to their eyes.
- When you realize that you have applied the shampoo properly then wash off the shampoo properly from their hair and apply the conditioner in the same way as the shampoo and then wash off the conditioner properly from their hair.
- Now as we know that the coat is completely wet so in order to dry it squeeze the coat inside the bath before letting them out.
- After taking the Akita out of the bath make them stand on the towels and you need to place a towel that covers the back of the Akita and slowly and gently squeeze the water from the hair coat of the Akita. Never rub the hair of the dog as it tangles and makes the hair of the Akita frizzy.
- You can even do matting of the hair in order to remove the excess water from the hair coat. If there are tangles in their try gently free them with your fingers and make sure do not hurt them do everything gently and softly because they are fuzzy at this time.
- The hair should be tangle-free before you have to brush and comb them so that brushing and combing become easy.
- Now you can easily brush the hair of the Akita and dry them properly as this will help in removing the hair that would otherwise come out because we know that Akita sheds heavily.
- After bathing the Akita use oils for their hair coat so that you can moisturize their hair as it can become rough after giving bath to them. You can use light oils for the silky coat and heavy oils for the cottony coats so that they become better and have proper shine and gloss and also so that they are nourished properly.
- Now do cut the nails of the Akita for better hygiene with the help of the nail clippers and be careful while cutting the nails of the Akita, do not hurt them, and do the clipping of the nails quite slowly and carefully. You need to clip the nails of your Akita every 4 to 6 weeks to maintain their hygiene.
- Also brush or comb the hair of Akita daily to prevent their hair shedding as this can help in reducing their hair fall.
- There are times that dirt or debris gets caught in the ears of the Akita and even the water while you are giving them a bath so it is very important to clean the ears of the Akita in that case.
- So you need to check their ears at least once a week and clean them with the cotton ball or with the ear cleansers that are approved by the vet. This will help in cleaning the ears of the Akita and they will not have any sort of issues or infections in their ears.
- You also need to brush the teeth of your Akita just like you do yours in order to prevent plaque and even the building up of tartar and also to reduce the bad breath of your dog. So brush their teeth at least 2 to 3 times a week and use the toothpaste that is safe for animals and not the human ones, because it will be quite harmful to your dog.
- After this, your dog is ready and well-groomed and you can now let them rest for some time and see how amazing they look after grooming.
- These steps are to be followed properly only then the Akita will be well-groomed and will be able to stay fit and healthy.
The products that you are using for the Akita for the purpose of grooming make sure that everything is safe for your pet or you can contact the vet for better results.
Be aware of each of the products that you are using for them because it causes various issues for your dog if the product is not good for them and in some cases it can be quite fatal.
These are the various steps that you need to follow while you are grooming your Akita and make sure that these should be followed properly and also while grooming them do not hurt them or irritate them as they become quite fussy at that time. Be calm with them and also try to calm them down so that the process takes place without any sort of problems.
As we know that the Akita is an independent nature dog so it is not an easy task to groom the Akita. You need to very calm first of all and also you need to calm your dog also because dogs do not like grooming. Also, you need to understand them properly and also know how to handle them in a proper way without causing any trouble for them.
So keeping an Akita as a pet is not an easy task people with experience can keep them without much problem otherwise it is not so easy to handle an Akita.
Make sure that the Akita is not causing any problem when you are grooming them because they will not let the process finish properly and will create a problem for you. So when you are grooming them you will have to take care of lots of things and even build a strong bond with your dog so that they can trust you.