An iguana belongs to the family of reptiles that are herbivorous in nature and are cute pets and are quite active in nature. Due to their active nature you would like to put a leash or a harness on them so that when you are outside with your iguana you have control over them and this will give you a sense of security and you will be able to roam freely with your lovely pet iguana.
In this article we will discuss about how to make a leash for the iguana and all the important stuff related to the leash of the iguana.
The iguana leash is something that is very important for the owner of the iguana if they want to take the their iguana out in the open for a stroll and they want a full control over their iguana and therefore a leash can work wonders for that purpose and you can have full control over your iguana.
As we know iguanas are quite active and they have tendency to escape so the importance of leash naturally exists if you do not want to lose your lovely iguana out in the open and want them safe with you.
Why do we need an iguana leash?
The reason that why we want a leash for the iguana are as follows:-
- The self- made iguana leashes are not expensive and are easy to made and maintain.
- Provides mental peace and a sense of security to you when you are outside with your iguana as you will have control over them.
- Reduces the risk of your iguana running away from you.
- Also it reduces the risk of being attacked by birds, dogs or other animals in the open.
All these reasons tells us how important is an iguana leash and we should know how to make one in order to cut the cost of the iguana leash and also we will able to do our creativity on the iguana leash.
How to make an iguana leash?
In order to make a leash for an iguana firstly we should know what all material is needed to make a leash and then proceed further.
Material required for making of an iguana leash
The materials required are something that are easily available at home and you can gather them for your iguana leash. The list of materials required for making of an iguana leash are as follows:-
- A rope/ para cord
- Lock spring (plastic cord)
All these things need to be gathered in order to make an iguana leash and you can find these things easily at home.
Steps for making an iguana leash
The steps that are needed to be followed in order to make a leash for an iguana are easy and anyone can make it easily at home just by following the steps that are given below and save the money that you will use for buying the leash for your iguana. The steps for making an iguana leash are as follows:-
- The first step is to cut the cord or the para cord to an appropriate length. It depends upon you whether you want to use the same material for the leash and the harness or not. If yes then cut approx. 3 metres of para cord in length. If you want the different material then cut only 1.2 metres of para cord in length.
- The next step is that you have to hold one end of the para cord and feed it through the cord lock and the length should be long enough in order to make the lock sit exactly halfway down the para cord.
- Now the length of para cord that you fed through the lock take it again and feed it back through the lock in order to create a large loop.
- The loop should be large enough so that it can fit around the iguana twice and it can always be tightened afterwards.
- Now you have to adjust the loose ends to make them of the same length.
- The next step is that you have to take the equal- sized loose ends and start braiding them together or you can also twist them around and then tie the ends together. You can choose whichever suits you.
- But a braid is easy to make and nice to look at in the long run so it is recommended to go for a braid style.
- After this you have to take the two ends or the small loop at the top and then tie it to one of the carabiners and make it as secure as possible.
- Now you have to measure the leash rope and cut it to the appropriate length and depending upon the length of the para cord, the rope or the other material that you using should be long enough so that you can comfortably hold while standing up and not bent over.
- You have to take one end of the rope and attach it to the other carabiner and then secure it as tightly as possible.
- It is recommended to have a separate material for the leash and the harness so that it becomes easy while putting the harness on and there is not much material to manoeuvre around.
- After this you have to hold the para cord and start approaching your iguana from the front side and put the closed- loop below the lock of the cord over the head of the iguana and its front arms.
- When you will do this the lock of the cord will position itself above the back of the iguana just behind its front legs and do not tighten the loop right now.
- Now you have to twist the loop once in order to create the second one underneath the iguana and the second loop should be quite close to the stomach of the iguana.
- The next step is to take the new loop and then thread the second loop over the head and the neck of the iguana and do make sure that the second loop is down the iguana’s back that is just in front of the front legs or the shoulders of the iguana.
- You should notice one thing that these loops should make a figure of 8 for a better and safe grip to the iguana and also this style of harness is called a figure 8 harness.
- After this you need to adjust the lock of the cord so that it can move closer to the body of the iguana and tightens the figure 8 but slightly. Do not press the cord lock tightly to the body of the iguana, you have to leave it by few inches.
- Now take the carabiners for both sides and clip them to each other and then adjust the harness and the leash above the body of an iguana in such a manner that the legs of the iguana can move freely.
- You have made the leash for the iguana but make sure it is not too tight for the iguana and is safe for it as there are chances that the leash can hurt the iguana if it is not tied properly to an iguana or if it is too tight for the iguana.
These are the steps that needs to be followed by the owner of the iguana in order to make a leash for their iguana. These steps are easy to follow and also by following these steps you can make a leash quite easily for the iguana by utilising the stuff or the material that are easily available at home. By making the iguana leash by yourself you can save your money that you would have otherwise used for buying the iguana leash from the market.
The iguana are cute pets but are very active in nature and their owners are well aware of this fact so that is why they need a leash for them. The best part about the iguana leash is that you can create it yourself just by following the steps that are mentioned above and keeping all the safety measures for the iguana in your mind and you can make an amazing leash for your iguana. Though iguana would not love it but for their safety we have to tie them with a leash, but remember it should not be too tight that our cute pet iguana gets hurt.
The leash has become very important for the iguana if you want to take it outside with you, otherwise you can even lose your iguana if they are left in the open without a leash.
To build a bonding between the owner of the iguana and the iguana, you should definitely spend time with each other and that will help both of you to understand each other. The use of leash can also stress the iguana so it is the duty of the iguana owner to use it properly and safely without hurting the iguana and causing pain and stress to it.