Bearded dragons always had lot of concern regarding their food, as to what should be given them to eat and what they should avoid as we know that they are very sensitive animals. We need to be very careful with their eating habits as they can fall ill if we will not control their eating habits.
In some cases if we will not regulate the type of food given to the bearded dragon we can also lose them as it can be fatal to their lives. We will discuss whether or not to feed the bearded dragon with radicchio.
Is Radicchio good for Bearded Dragons?
Radicchio is a part of the chicory family and is the most common variety of intensely flavoured vegetable that has bright wine coloured leaves with bright white coloured veins.
So, Can Bearded Dragons Eat Radicchio?
Yes they can, but the radicchio should be given in the form of treats to the bearded dragon from time to time and do not feed the bearded dragon with radicchio on regular basis as this will be really harmful for them.
It is mostly used in salads or tossed with pasta. Radicchio contains a disproportionate calcium: phosphorous ratio. Also it is a vegetable that is high in acidic content.
How often should the radicchio be fed to the bearded dragon?
The radicchio should be fed once a week and not more than that to a healthy bearded dragon. So you should not be providing bearded dragon with lots of radicchio even if they like it and too much of radicchio are harmful for the bearded dragon and can also cause illness to them.
The harmful effects of feeding high amount of radicchio to the bearded dragon
The harmful effects of eating radicchio for the bearded dragon are as follows:-
- Radicchio are low in calcium, which makes it sometimes unfit for the bearded dragon to consume it as calcium is very important for healthy bones and the movement, so deficiency of calcium can cause serious illness to the bearded dragon.
- It is said that the radicchio have an unhealthy ratio of phosphorous and calcium, as the presence of phosphorous in the radicchio, stops the calcium from being absorbed in the body. Which again makes the bearded dragon calcium deficient and makes radicchio unfit for the consumption in large quantities.
How to prepare the radicchio for the bearded dragon?
The steps on how to prepare the radicchio for the bearded dragon are as follows:-
- Firstly you have to wash the radicchio carefully and properly.
- After this do not cook the radicchio, you should provide them in raw form to the bearded dragon. As cooking decreases the nutritional value of the radicchio.
- The radicchio should be chopped in to small pieces or chunks so that they can be easily eaten by the bearded dragon.
- Provide the bearded dragon with a maximum of a leaf of the radicchio.
- Radicchio are basically used as a salad topper to make it appear tempting for the bearded dragon.
The leaves of the radicchio will make the food more tempting and also the radicchio is quite flavourful so it will add some extra taste to the regular food of the bearded dragon. The radicchio should be given in the form of treats to the bearded dragon so that they will have to suffer from the harmful effects of the radicchio.
Bearded dragons needs lots of care as the diet of your bearded dragon needs to be regulated and you need to be careful with each and every item you fed to them. As any wrong food item can cause illness to your bearded dragon and even if any of the food item is fed in wrong quantity that can also be harmful for your bearded dragon and sometimes it can also lead to the death of your bearded dragon, so you should know the nutritional value and its harmful effects if you want to feed any food item to your bearded dragon.