The Alaskan malamute is known to be an amazing companion for its owner because the Alaskan malamute is a loyal and obedient dog. The Alaskan malamute needs the love and the care of the owner so that they can live a healthy and happy life.
You need to groom the Alaskan malamute in order to provide them a hygienic lifestyle. Proper grooming will help them to stay away from infections and various diseases.
In this guide, we will discuss the topic that how to groom an Alaskan malamute at home easily so that you can take care of your dog properly without much hassle. By grooming the Alaskan malamute you can also bond with them nicely which will build a bond between the owner and the dog.
What type of grooming you can give to the Alaskan malamute?
The basic types of grooming that can be given to the Alaskan malamute and that are done on a frequent basis and can be done easily at home are as follows:-
- Bathing of your Alaskan malamute
- Nail Trimming of Alaskan malamute
- Brushing of the hair coat of Alaskan malamute
These are the basic grooming that you can and have to do for your Alaskan malamute and they will enjoy their grooming session if they are used to it and also if you have trained them for the same. Otherwise, they will create a fuss for you if they are not used to all this. Even you have to their grooming patiently otherwise they will not be around you when they will get to know that you are about to groom them.
How to groom Alaskan malamute at home?
The Alaskan malamute needs to be groomed properly in order to stay neat and clean and even healthy so that they can stay happy. The Alaskan malamute as we know has a wiry and hard coat that needs to be groomed well for their betterment.
To groom their hair properly you need to strip their hair regularly to strengthen the quality and even the texture of the coat. There is always the benefit of regular grooming and this can be done in 2 ways, either hand-stripped or you can use the clippers and even the scissors to trim off their hair and also so that there is no matting in the hair. You should be careful while you are grooming the Alaskan malamute because sometimes the dog does not like to be disturbed but at this time you need lots of patience.
Step by step guide involved in grooming
There are various steps that are involved in grooming the Alaskan malamute at home that is listed as below:
- To start with you need to bathe your Alaskan malamute for that place them in a tub or a bath and then wet their hair coat properly. You need to bathe your Alaskan malamute at least twice a week.
- Do check the temperature of the water with which you are wetting your dog in order to ensure whether the dog is comfortable or not.
- After wetting the hair coat of the Alaskan malamute apply a little bit of shampoo in the downward motion so that the shampoo is applied properly to their hair. Be careful while applying the shampoo and make sure that you do not let the shampoo enter the eyes of the Alaskan malamute as it can hurt your dog and it can cause irritation to their eyes.
- When you realize that you have applied the shampoo properly then wash off the shampoo properly from their hair and apply the conditioner in the same way as the shampoo and then wash off the conditioner properly from their hair.
- Now as we know that the coat is completely wet so in order to dry it squeeze the coat inside the bath before letting them out.
- After taking the Alaskan malamute out of the bath make them stand on the towels and you need to place a towel that covers the back of the Alaskan malamute and slowly and gently squeeze the water from the hair coat of the Alaskan malamute. Never rub the hair of the dog as it tangles and makes the hair of the Alaskan malamute frizzy.
- You can even do matting of the hair in order to remove the excess water from the hair coat. If there are tangles in their try gently free them with your fingers and make sure do not hurt them do everything gently and softly because they are fuzzy at this time.
- The hair should be tangle-free before you have to brush and comb them so that brushing and combing become easy.
- Now you can easily brush the hair of the Alaskan malamute and dry them properly as this will help in removing the hair that would otherwise come out because we know that Alaskan malamute sheds heavily.
- After bathing the Alaskan malamute use oils for their hair coat so that you can moisturize their hair as it can become rough after giving a bath to them. You can use light oils for the silky coat and heavy oils for the cottony coats so that they become better and have proper shine and gloss and also so that they are nourished properly.
- Now do cut the nails of the Alaskan malamute for better hygiene with the help of the nail clippers and be careful while cutting the nails of the Alaskan malamute, do not hurt them, and do the clipping of the nails quite slowly and carefully. You need to clip the nails of your Alaskan malamute every 4 to 6 weeks to maintain your hygiene.
- Also brush or comb the hair of Alaskan malamute daily to prevent their hair shedding as this can help in reducing their hair fall.
- There are times that dirt or debris gets caught in the ears of the Alaskan malamute and even the water while you are giving them a bath so it is very important to clean the ears of the Alaskan malamute in that case.
- So you need to check their ears at least once a week and clean them with the cotton ball or with the ear cleansers that are approved by the vet. This will help in cleaning the ears of the Alaskan malamute and they will not have any sort of issues or infections in their ears.
- You also need to brush the teeth of your Alaskan malamute just like you do yours in order to prevent plaque and even the building up of tartar and also to reduce the bad breath of your dog. So brush their teeth at least 2 to 3 times a week and use the toothpaste that is safe for animals and not the human ones, because it will be quite harmful to your dog.
- After this, your dog is ready and well-groomed and you can now let them rest for some time and see how amazing they look after grooming.
- These steps are to be followed properly only then the Alaskan malamute will be well-groomed and will be able to stay fit and healthy.
These are the various steps in which you can easily groom the Alaskan malamute at home and also you need to follow these steps carefully so that no problem occurs while you are grooming the Alaskan malamute. Make sure that every step is followed carefully without missing any step.
How long does it take to groom the Alaskan malamute?
To groom the Alaskan malamute you need the following time depending upon the type of grooming you are doing:
- For brushing your Alaskan malamute you need up to 10 minutes if you brush them on a frequent routine.
- For cutting the hair of the dog you need at least 2 to 4 hours that also after the pre-bath and after the cutting is complete you need to clean them up.
- In order to bathe your Alaskan malamute the time taken is as low as 10 minutes and can go up to an hour depending upon the type of bathing that you are giving to them.
- For cutting the claws of your dog you just need 5 minutes and if your Alaskan malamute is causing a lot of fuss then it can take even more time.
These are the various timing that is taken by the Alaskan malamute when they are groomed and these timings depend upon the type of grooming you are giving to the Alaskan malamute, depending upon that the time varies.
The Alaskan malamute has a double hair coat so that is the reason that grooming is a must in these dogs and you can do that without any problem also if you do not have time you can also take them to the professional groomers so that proper care can be done and proper grooming takes place.
Taking them to professional grooming can be expensive but it is worth every penny. So grooming is very important in the life of any pet because it keeps them healthy and also creates a healthy environment for the owner and the dog itself.
Learn More from our experts: